Going to look at goats in the morning!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    I'm going to look at some boer goats in the morning. So happy!!! Anyways what are some things to look for? They are all CAE negative.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you mean CAE? :wink:

Look for does that aren't overweight, stand on strong feet, with strong pasterns, does that are bigger bodied, and have nice wide hips. Ask about kidding, have they had problems with kidding? If so what kind of problems? If the does have udders, make sure that they have nice udders that are held high and that don't hang down and swing.

3. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Shoot yes :oops: guess i typed that to fast! Thanks!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how did you make out?

5. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    I spent about 3 hours out there and learned so much! They are going to put together a package for me. So I'll have a few nice reg. does and a young buck to start with. :leap:

How do I go about looking up bloodline on the internet? Its not as easy as the horses I'm finding!

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Congrats!!! I can't help you with looking up Boer bloodlines...with dairy goats you can go to ADGA page and they have pedigree searches...but the Boer registries didn't.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats great that they are helping you out with a little starter herd.

I don't know a thing about boers - hopefully someone who does can help you there

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's great! Do you know any of the names in their pedigrees? If you do I could see if I know anything about them, I've become pretty familiar with some of the lines, still lots to learn though.

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I don't normally have trouble finding info on Nigerian bloodlines online but I don't know a thing about Boer lines. Congrats though!

10. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    OK the buck is by DOWNEN P115 and out of a doe CAPRIOLE'S PIPING HOT ABBY by MAGNUM JAN. Thats all i have right. Thanks for all your help!

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Downen P115 seems to be a really nice buck, both his parents are Ennobled and are also both ABGA National Champions. He's got alot of other Ennobled stuff in his pedigree as well. Capriole's Piping Hot Abby seems to be a decent doe as well. So just curious, is the place you are getting them from called Simon Boers? Cuz that's the farm that owns Abby and they said she had kids sired by Downen P115. :) I'm attaching a picture of Downen P115.

Attached Files:

12. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes thats the place Simon Boers. They are super nice people!

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Neat! Just from looking at their website it looks like they have a good breeding program going and should be able to get you set up with some nice goats.

14. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Those are awesome bloodlines!!!! Congrats on your new additions!

15. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Thank you! Here are some more of the does bloodlines: Hobenero*, Galileo*, Samurai Sam, Nasdaq* and Red Crown T82. How are these? Oh and what dose ennobled mean?

16. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
  17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I was gonna type you a reply earlier yesterday and then my puter got locked up. For a goat to be Ennobled, they have to pass an inspection by a qualified person to show that they are a good represenative of the breed standard. Also they have to have a certain amount of show points either from the goat itself being shown or from it's progeny doing well in the show ring. There are times that a goat is Ennobled and has never been shown, but it has produced kids that are winning in the show ring and have "collected enough points for the goat to become Ennobled. Make sense? So it's kind of like a champion basically. I'll look up those lines here after a while when a get some time.

18. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks I have been wondering about that for some time now!

19. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    You are welcome. Okay, looking up those goats for you, I found Hobenero, if it's the same one you are talking about he looks like an amazing buck. He's owned by Tehachapi Boers and you can read about him here. http://www.tehachapiboers.com/TehachapiBoers.html and from what I can gather on those other ones, it seems like they are really good as well, at least everybody is proud to say they are in their lines. :)

20. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    i think I'm all done looking. I'm just going to buy him!