The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to show the goats will be there for a week. Last year one of my babies came home sick. I know not everyone can or will take care of there goats the way we do so my question is I plan on worming before we go what else can I do to prevent a repeat of last year. Has anyone used Aureomycin medicated 4G crumbles any advice would be great thank you.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I wouldn't do any antibiotics. The best thing you can do is make sure they have good immune systems going in. Then just be prepared with the proper meds if they do get sick

·
14,615 Posts
We have protocol in place which includes

1) No nose or butt sniffing outside herd mates

2) Open lips for judge on bite check

3) All goats must walk through strong bleach water after show while being unloaded, I dont care if it's 3am & no one has slept for a week.

This goes for shoes worn around grounds as well.;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
You bleach your goats? Sorry if I am not understanding that right, I have just never heard of that before.

I would just make sure everyone looks good and healthy before taking them to fair. If anyone looks under the weather already, don't take that goat. Try to boost immune systems with probios and other supplements. Make sure there are no sudden diet changes and they do not go hungry, as that all causes stress. Make sure they have fresh, clean water at all times. Make the trip there go as smooth and stress-free as possible. Perhaps try to clip them a few days before leaving for the show. If you are penned near sickly animals, demand that your pen be moved next to healthy animals. Make sure they do not overheat. Watch carefully for any sign of illness, and treat aggressively if you suspect something coming on.

Nearly everyone we know has had their herds hit hard by pneumonia. The shows just seems to create a pefect storm, and soon after pneumonia is running rampant again. we have managed not to catch it yet. Knock on wood.

Just a side note. At the last fair we attended, the vet's "check" was to grab every goat by the face and look at their front teeth. How on earth is that considered a vet check? He wore no gloves and didn't sanitize his hands between goats or pens. It seems like the perfect way to spread a plethora of diseases. I was not too happy about that.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
yes we bleach them. *** if anyone wants to tell me how wrong or stupid or an animal abuser or something like that because of this SAVE IT I don't want to hear it!***

50/50 solution bleach/water spray them down avoiding face.
leave them on it until their getting dizzy (its from the smell nothing wrong with them) then spray them down with water.
it "disinfects" them and gets the bacteria off them. with pneumonia spreading so badly I highly comend breaching. IT DOES NO HURT THEM WANT SO EVER it will keep them healthy. think about it I and so many other people wouldent do it if it hurt their goats!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You can vaccinate for pneumonia to help prevent that.

When I go to shows, I always pen my goats away from other goats and will have my tack pen in between my goats and the other goats. I do not let them sniff or get too close to other goats. I clean their pens completely out everyday and put fresh bedding, this way they are not breathing any ammonia and are not forced to lay in their own poop and getting dirty. I also do not wash my goats at the show if I can help it, I wash them at home. If you have to wash at the fair, make sure you have plenty of towels and some kind of blow dryer to get your goat dry quickly, a goats body temp will drop when they get wet so it is important to dry them quickly to prevent chilling. Especially since most fair barns have tons of fans going and it is usually pretty cool inside the barn already.

Oak Hollow: the vet was most likely checking the teeth on the goats to make sure they still had their "milk teeth". Most fairs require market goats to be under one year of age with no evidence of their adult incisors coming in. The vet should have been wearing gloves, or at least cleaning their hands between goats. If you go to this fair again, I would offer to show the vet the goats teeth yourself.

A lot of people will disinfect their goats when they come home, I don't personally, but if you feel the need to, do it. A lot of people will also take a disinfectant solution and spray the pens down at the show, helps to kill anything that may have been on the pens from a previous show.

If you see any goats at the show that are sick, I would notify the people in charge of the show. Those animals should be seen by the vet and delt with accordingly, it is not fair to you to bring healthy goats just to have them get sick because someone else brought sick goats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts