Going to the dark side.....a little lol

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by AndersonRanch, Jan 13, 2021.

1. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Well after loosing my jersey cow and throwing in the towel on having one I have been causally looking for a few dairy girls to add to the herd so I have some extra milk for bottle babies (and I stop looking like the crazy milk lady when I pick up a weeks worth of whole milk lol) No one seems to be really parting with their dairy goats and the ones that are are wanting a arm and a leg for them, which is probably worth it but not to me and my boer herd. I finally found these two 11 month old alpines. I called and talked to the girl that is selling them. She is a teenager and got them at a week old to show them. With all the fairs being canceled and unknown what is going to happen this year the girl decided to sell them and save up money for more competitive does for when she can show. They are registered but she is waiting to get them back. I dont usually won’t buy a animal without the papers but I honestly don’t care if they have papers or not, it’s not like I have alpine bucks around here lol but I will be calling the lab and finding out what day they run the tests for the big 3s and as long as they pass these girls will be my new milk goats. So meet Ellie May and Maybelle. They are the sweetest things ever and hopefully make me a ton of milk lol
    IMG_4382.jpg IMG_4381.jpg IMG_4380.jpg IMG_4379.jpg

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  3. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Yay! Another initiated to the dark side! Congrats on the new girls.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yay! Welcome to the dark side! They’re adorable. I’m so excited for you... :)

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ohhh great idea for all those triplets
    You have! Those bottle babies will have a great start!

6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oooo you lucky duck! Those girls look so pretty. I hope they work out for you. :neat:

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Are you going to breed them to your boer bucks?

8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Nice does! Congratulations! :love:

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice! Congratulations!

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well arent you special! (highfive) doing BOTH sides of the fence...like 007...a super person! :heehee::heehee:

MadHouse, Sfgwife and AndersonRanch like this.
  11. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Dark side, my eye! You’ve finally come to your senses! Pretty does!

12. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Thank you guys, I don’t know much about dairy goats but they were sweet so they won me over even if they are terrible looking girls by alpine standards. I really liked the alpine doe I had before and she could hold her own against the Boers so I’m hoping these girls are just like her.
    Lol ranger1 you made me laugh so hard! But I probably won’t go too deep and hopefully will add just a few more does and call that good.
    MellonFriend I’m kinda debating the plan here. I think what I will try to do is AI them and use a boer if they don’t take. I have heard that virgin does are hard to settle with AI so I might just toss to the Boers the first go. I really wouldn’t need the cross kids if I’m set with the dairy does so I might pull the cross kids and sell as bottle babies. That is a huge might because I don’t know if I would have the heart to do that (not at ALL saying anything bad about those that do pull all the kids). So we will just see. It might just totally depend on how much milk they do make. I have a year right figure that out

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Nice looking Alpines! They might need a bit of copper- with the fish tail, but they are really good looking!

14. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    They are cuties! I may be getting an adult Alpine here in a couple of months. I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do about that yet.
    :)
    I have never tried crossing Boers and dairy goats. I know that some people do. Most of the alpines that I have seen have been fairly small, and finer boned. I would be careful crossing them with a heftier goat like a Boer. But I'm sure you will do whatever is best!

15. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    They are going to get some copper when I pull their blood, might as well get all the joyful mean things done at once so they can forgive me.
    I have crossed them before, as well as lamanchas and Nubians, this isn’t the first time I’ve had dairy does, just the first time they haven’t been total crap by dairy standards. They do just fine but I don’t have bucks that throw super large kids, I would cull over that, and I don’t over feed BUT they are a absolute hideous cross and I’m not sure what went wrong with that cross but they were always very flighty. But here’s the alpine I had and a alpine oberhasli alpine and their kids with a boer, I never once had a kidding issue with them, even when once one was breech and snuggles (alpine) pushed it out butt first and all
    IMG_1610641249.150485.jpg IMG_4394.jpg IMG_4395.jpg

16. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Sounds like you know more about it than I do. :D
    I think those babies are cute! If I buy the Alpine I'm considering, I will be breeding her to my Nubian buck, so I know I'll have some funky ears going on. I think that could be a really nice cross, from a dairy perspective, though, and hopefully hardy.

17. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    :D :D :D
    That's a good way of putting it!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Ah, I don't think those babies look hideous. Do they grow up to look worse? I did laugh though because they look nothing like mom and specially in the last picture it looks like the mom kidnapped the kid somewhere, lol. Pretty alpine in the first picture, nice shiny auburn coat.