The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this might be a dumb question but I have 2 Nubian/Lamancha does, and they can be registered, I just never bothered really. In order to get mini Nubian/Lamancha does, would I have to breed to a ND buck, or can a breed to a kinder buck, as they are a little bigger. I am kind of wanting to get a registered buck next year, register the does in my name. I will most likely have 1 or 2 registered oberhasli doelings in Dec. for breeding fall of 2014... So if I want the mini breeds, could I still use a registered kinder buck, or would my best option be a registered ND buck? I'm not sure why I'm leaning toward registered stock, but I just don't want these goats to be just mutts, I want them to be worth something:) After I get all the mini doelings I want my initial stock will go up for sale... Except of course Bella, my ober/Alpine doeling.... She's the sweetest little thing, and my ober wethers:) oh who am I kidding, I'll probably have enough money to add onto the barn, and keep them all:)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It has become standard terminology to call a cross between a ND and a standard sized doe a Mini. If you call it a Mini Nubian or Mini LaMancha people will expect it to be a ND crossed with a standard sized goat, in order to have it registered as such it has to be crossed with a ND. I'm not sure how registration works with Kinders, but i don't think offspring of a Nubian or LaMancha crossed with a Kinder would be registrable anywhere. If the Nubian is registered and you breed her to a registered Pygmy, however, then the kids would be first gen Kinders.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i do believe you need a ND buck for registered minis. there are some really pretty nd bucks for sale right now. where do you live? i know of at least 2 registered nd bucks in my area that are for sale right now. we had good luck getting a double registered one off craigslist. he was 25 miles away and has terrific conformation. so get those does registered and buy a nd buck. mini nubians are hot sellers in my area. i dont know about mini manchas, i never looked cause i dont like their ears, but others love the look.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought.... I already have 2 bucks, 1 kinder and 1 oberhasli. This year I guess I'll have mutts:) Both my Nubian/Lamancha cross does didn't even get preggo this last season and my kinder buck was running with them for 6 mo. I have corrected a few things such as copper and selenium deficiency so they might take this year... I'm wanting to wait to see it happen first, before I go through all the trouble:) I like oberhasli's too, so maybe I'll get 2 reg oberhasli's, and 2 reg Nubian does, and an ND buck next year...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts