The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Where is the swelling on her neck? Any chance she was bitten, stung, or having an allergic reaction?
What is her FAMACHA score? I've heard of a few cases where bottle jaw swelling wasn't just confined to the area under the jaw.
If it is not bottle jaw, and is really goiter, that is caused by iodine deficiency, I believe.
Hopefully, others will chime in and help out here!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Picture didn't come through for me. Goiter is a firm swelling where we would expect an Adam's Apple to be. Bottle jaw is a soft swelling that can cover the entire under jaw and often side jaws as well.
Check her famacha for color. You can paint her tail web with iodine and see how fast it's absorbed. If gone under 24 hours then she definitely needs iodine.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Glad swelling is down. Do check her famacha to besure it's not parasite related. Happy kidding!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How are things going?
She had her babies in the last hour. She had two but one didn't make it. The other is trying to stand and doing well. This has been the worst kidding. We had 4 mamas. I lost one doe and her kid (our vet called the kid a freak of nature due to its size), had quads with another mama and one was born dying. Then this one. Three of the four were first fresheners.

I am so glad we're done kidding for a bit. Thanks for checking in

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Was there anything off about baby who didn't make it? Goiter or loss of hair? I'm sorry this year been a tough kidding experience.

Reactions: dbnielsen

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I'm sorry. So sad.
Won't hurt mom to have her tail web painted with iodine and see how well she absorbs it.

Reactions: dbnielsen

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry I haven't posted pictures yet. My lamancha gave birth to two kids. We ended up losing one of hers and the other isn't quite right. She struggles with her head. I've been milking mama and bottle feeding. I went out for her bed time feeding to find my little moon spotted buck almost dead. He was literally fine at 5 PM. Up playing with his siblings and then died within minutes of me finding him. I am so beyond distraught. This year has been horrible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts