Goiters? And Do I NEED Salt?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MellonFriend, Jun 1, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I switched over to Redmond Goat Salt in mid May (I believe) after having a Himalayan rock salt I got from tractor supply (Jolly Salt or something was the company). Before this I had noticed that the does might be looking like they have goiters forming and so I switched to Redmond since I knew it to contain iodine. Is that what this is? Should I do anything extra for them? The whole iodine on the tail thing right? IMG_5829.JPG IMG_5827.JPG
    They haven't really touched the salt since I started putting it out which surprises me since I figured they would really nail it if they are iodine deficient. So why aren't they? My bucks have been absolutely loving it and eat all I put out for them in a day even though they show no apparent deficiencies. The does just don't seem to really care for it only taking a slight taste if I put out some fresh salt.

I wonder what it is that is making the bucks consume so much of it? Because of a pandemic caused economic cut back, it has been requested of me that I only spend what is necessary for the goats and hold out on non essential purchases. It came to my attention on another thread that not everyone needs to offer salt to goats, and with my does barely touching it and never having touched any kind of salt it makes me wonder if I really need to be offering it to them.

But what about the bucks? I didn't think they were having any particular deficiencies, but with them all over the salt....

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The salt is great for the bucks, try to reduce the amount of Redmond you buy by giving it only to the boys, and try kelp for the girls? They may like that better.

Those do look like iodine goiters.

MellonFriend likes this.

3. MellonFriend

What specifically makes you say that. I love learning why something works not just that it does.:)

I figured kelp would be even more expensive than the salt. Know of the cheapest way to get it?

So should I just put some 7% iodine on there tails? Does it matter how much?

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Are you feeling lumps in that flap. I have a totally different breed then yours but some of mine have some extra flap there but they don’t have Goiters, it’s just flap.
    Salt is good for bucks because it encourages them to drink more and help keep the pipes cleaned out ;)

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yep!!

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. MellonFriend

I felt no lumps. What's that mean? They are just soft and squishy.

Could I treat for deficiency even if it is not that? If it went away after I did that I guess then I would know.

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    A lot of time what seems like a goiter is just fat. Most of my Nigerians had it. Kelp is one of the best iodine sources, and it's good for them regardless of deficiency, so that might be a good route.

Ashlynn, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yes. A goiter is actually the thyroid (??right that’s the body part called lol) that is large. If you just feeling mush or skin then you probably don’t have a goiter going on.

9. MellonFriend

Okay that's good to hear. Would it hurt to just do a tail paint of iodine tincture just to be sure? I am about to breed one of the does and I certainly don't want her to be deficient.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Wont hurt to paint the tail web and see how fast it absorbs..24 hours and under could indicate a iodine deficiency

11. MellonFriend

Are you saying how fast the tincture stops being visible is an indicator?

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes if it disappears with 24 hours..iodine is needed

13. MellonFriend

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can someone explain to me what this iodine tail thing is? I feel silly that I don’t know.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. MellonFriend

:lolgoat: You can paint iodine tincture on the underside of their tails as an immediate treatment. One of my goat books says that it can clear up goiters in as little as a week.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Fascinating!!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes you keep painting until it no longer absorbs. Its a good way to test too if you feel there is a issue. If the iodine absorbs with in 24 hours then treatment and on going supplement is needed.

19. MellonFriend

Okay, I don't think I did it right then.:oops: I just put some on a cotton ball and rubbed it all over their tails. It has completely absorbed since I did it this morning. So I should put it on until I can't get any more on?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What I mean is to paint the tail web with iodine...IF it aborbs with in 24 hour..repaint it again..and keep repeating this until it no longer absorbs, indicating their system has enough.
    I hope that explains better lol. Sorry for the miss understanding

Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.