The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family nearby is selling off their herd. Mostly lamancha/toggs none are registered. There are 4 does in milk, several yearling does, 7 kids from this year(bucklings and doelings) and a lamancha buck she is only asking $50 each and $25 for the bucklings or $300 for the lot. Ahh! I could easily buy them all and resell the ones I don't need for a decent profit buttt i really just want 1 more doe in milk lol

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dang, that's a great price. I would have a tough time not buying them all.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
wow....that's a REALLY good price! i'd probably have a hard time not getting all of them either.....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Whoa! I wish I could find a deal like that! :)

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to look at them right before the evening milking so I can check out the udders. Hubby says get them all(lol!) I do all the milking, clipping, hoof trimming, vaccinating, barn cleaning(you get the picture) so easy for him to say....but gotta love him for the encouragement right? Lol I'll let you all know how many I end up with :)

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hubby keeps saying I should just get them all....Ahh!! We could raise the bucklings for the freezer. I could probably sell the buck in a month or two. I could probably sell any of the does I don't want but holy thats a lotta goats to add. Of course they would ALL have to look healthy for even one to come to my farm. Then quarantine and testing...how quickly do the results come back? I've been wanting to test my small herd for cl and cae anyways. Heading out in 2 hours with a small crate...only big enough to hold 2 adult goats lol....that's my "attempt" at controlling my goat craziness.....for today anyways. I don't know what to do!! Lol

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok...so I went and checked out tho herd. Lovely goats. Pure lamancha does and several lamancha toggenburg crosses. Most have elf ears. 4 in milk giving about 3-4 gallons a day. Several yearlings...at least 6, all does. 2 have udders but I not supposed to be bred. A gorgeous toggenburg buck. And maybe 6 or 8 of this years kids*sigh* I came home with a lamancha doe and a sweet lamancha/togg cross. Going back tomorrow night to pay for the rest and gonna prepare for 14(I think they miscounted tho lol) more goats. I'm going to keep the best and sell the rest. I think I'll def keep the does in milk until fall, maybe sell 2 come fall and keep 2 of the best yearlings. But we shall see. I have a feeling I'm gonna be busyyy

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh! I don't know what I've gotten myself into! Ok I do but...oh boy! I don't believe any have papers. They came from registered stock(the pure lamanchas) but the people weren't interested in papers so Idk how hard trying to find papers would be. I'm thinking I'll buy a registered lamancha buck and then the babies will be registerable as grade and can be bred up to American. Hubby now wants a pure toggenburg doe lol. He wants to learn to milk now so that's pretty cool. If I have 10-12 to milk come spring I'll need help! :)

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll get pics tomorrow of the two I got today. Black star the lamancha is 7 but looks pretty good. If I wasn't taking the whole herd I probably would have passed on her. Dorthea is the cross she is sweet and beautiful. I really like her already. My goats r all up in arms about the earless intruders. I hope they will get along once they r together. Right now they don't look impressed!

·
Registered
443 Posts
That is an amazing deal, I wish I could find a deal like that!!

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a crazy deal! I was like $300 for the WHOLE herd??? Just one doe in milk normally costs that here. I can't believe I'm going from 7 goats to 23 basically overnight. There's no way I can keep them all. I really wanted 10 milkers tops, so I'll have to narrow it down. Somehow....lol I'm sure I'll be asking for you guys's opinions :) there are some beauties tho. I am excited to get them home and settled into a routine. I watched the milkers be milked. They all stand quietly and patiently. This should be fun. I'm considering contacting a 4h group or two and offering a doeling for raffle or something along those lines. Do 4h shown goats need to be registered? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to buy my winters hay plus make the $300 back by selling the goats I cull...is that wrong?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts