The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years of using rubber feed pans it's time to switch.
The 3 & 4 mo olds just waste half their grain every feeding. Local store has those mountable ones that Jeffers has.
I can hardly wait! Im so tired of scrubbing the rubber ones out cause of mucky feet but even more so of the wanton waste.
Sometimes Im so slow to change up but am so excited!:cake:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I hate those rubber feed pans! Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! :mad: Dad finally took pity on me and cut some long, hollow iron/steel posts in half (pretty much, anyway) lengthwise, welded hangers and ends on them and I have new grain feeders.....smaller ones for the yearlings/weaning kids, and bigger ones for the adults. They work beautifully! I am so happy! Congratulations on your new grain feeders! I hope they work really well for you. :)

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Golly I dont get why I used those cotton picking things for so many years or why I even started. :crazy: Frugality does not always pay off.
It needs a little tweaking.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I hate those rubber feed pans/buckets. my bf bought a couple of the rubber buckets when we first got goats, and they're just NASTY. they stink like rubber and it's almost impossible to clean them! my goats are fairly good at not walking into their food, so I use large stainless steel dog bowls to feed them. works great, and easy to clean!

no more rubber buckets at our house!

hope the new feeders work well for you!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I only use them at fairs//shows when I have to. At home, I have the clip feeders, which I love - they are small enough to move around, but fit two mouths in them. They clip on wire fencing - you just have to be careful to put them high enough so they don't stand in them!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I have those ones that hang on the fence, I think they are about 3 ft long, black and I got mine at TSC. They are great, but all of my kids love to stand on them. lol they will jump up on them and eat, so they still get their feet in them, but can't dump the feed out. The best thing would be to have the feeder on the outside of the fence, but it would be my luck one would either break its neck getting caught in the fence or one would learn how to squeeze through the head sized hole.

·
1,524 Posts
ptgoats, yup that's exactly what my kids do to the feeders. They jump in them with their dirty feet and soil the grain. Then they get underneath and push until the thing falls off the wall and hangs there (I have them wired to the wooden mount) as they bounce on it with their still dirty feet. grrrrrr

·
Banned
988 Posts
I use the same feeders an dont have any problems with my kids getting in them. I do keep them alil outta their reach but they have a creep feeder an access to feed all the time so not a big deal if they dont eat when the adults do. I love mine an have replaced all my other feeders with these.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
GtAllen, those are the same feeders we use. They work exceptionally well, but we cant use them for the bucks, because BUCKS.BREAK.EVERYTHING. Big huge monsters, that's what they are...

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
GtAllen, those are the same feeders we use. They work exceptionally well, but we cant use them for the bucks, because BUCKS.BREAK.EVERYTHING. Big huge monsters, that's what they are...
My bucks crush them and bust them apart also. Mine will crush most anything. There are black ones that are much thicker, that don't have the bottom chain, that I use for bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts