The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading thru the thread on the person who bought the crypto(sp?)wether that needs reapeat surgery (as well as a kid that died of pneumonia from same person)-- I am getting nervous about breeders! I wonder how to tell reputation of a breeder-- I am meeting someone who shows and milks her Nubians (has papers and does CAE prevention protocol, and says no ulcers in her herd that she has had since 1996)-- Am slurging on one pedigreed tame kid to help us out with our wild doelings....

She seems honest and trustworthy (she is also a subsititute school teacher, so I know to teach you have to be background checked)....
And says come meet the doelings (she decided she has 10 too many and wants to reduce before winter)-- any tips you guys-- I put this post here cause I thought it was a more general query, although tips on picking out a healthy doeling wouldnt hurt either (we will breed eventually, not sure about the milking part)....
Thanx, rushing off to work (but am on TGS HA)...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Ask for references from other buyers. Give the doeling a good check over before you buy. Generally breeders are trustworthy and very nice, but every once in a while you end up with a scammer.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree. I also like to just talk to the owner and make sure they seem nice, knowledgable, and like they care about the goats. It's nice to see too that the other animals seem happy and healthy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I plan to get a good look at her set up and animals - even the fact that she did the CAE prevention protocol on upwards of 20 kids is impressive to me....
I just assumed all goat people are Great, afterall they love goats dont they?.... but I guess there is one lemon in every crowd.....

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's good to hear! :)

There are bad lemons in anything it seems. Horses, goats, dogs, it doesn't matter. Crazies are crazy and shady no matter what. :(

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Ask the same questions several times ;) lol this really bugs me when people do it but I know they are trying to see if I am lying about the animal and will slip up and say something different. I would also ask for proof of her CAE testing and to have the kid that you want CAE tested before you take her home, I would also ask to be there when either she pulls the blood, you pull the blood or your vet pulls the blood to make sure it is the same goat, if she is not worried about the test results she shouldn't mind you being there. AND (lol lots of things to do!) I would check the tattoos on the doeling you are getting and make sure they match the papers, or if she is not tattooed that she is before you take her home.

Since you are looking at Nubians, ask about the G6S status of her herd and if she would mind you having the doeling of your choice G6S tested. It is a bit of a pricey test ($42 I think) but well worth it if it will save you from breeding two carriers together and possibly ending up with affected kids.

Try to find other people that have bought goats from her and ask them about her if they were happy with the goats, etc.

·
1,524 Posts
Just because someone has goats doesn't mean they love them. Thye may have them out of nessecity, had them dumped on them or their significant other has them and they don't share te love.

Asking around other goat people for a persons credibility is a good start. While you can't please everyone, if you get more bad stories about a herd than good, you can be suspicious that the bad stories are really true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts