Good bye, Brier

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by TexasRanger, Feb 13, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    My poor Brier was killed 10 minutes ago by a couger.It severed her spinal cord, killing her instantly. :angelgoat: Good bye, Bri Bri.
    [​IMG]

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Oh my gosh that heart-breaking. I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:

3. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Im am so very sorry.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How traumatic for you! I am so sorry your pretty lil' girl was killed :hug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss...that is so sad.. :( :hug:

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm sorry too. It sounds like she didn't suffer much at least. Did you get the cougar? If not, I would at least file a report with your county, it isn't okay to have a wild predator killing livestock in the neighborhood. They might want to take a look at your girl.

Jan

7. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I'm so sorry you lost your little Brier. :hug:

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that! BIG ((((HUGS)))) How are the other goats doing?

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am so sorry, that is awful! :hug: Losing someone to a predator is so hard because it is so sudden and unexpected. My heart and :pray: goes out to you and the rest of your herd.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    So sorry.
    Please be careful out there TexasRanger, the cat will be back. They kill for sport.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Poor baby. She was a beauty. I'm very sorry. I agree with Nancy, I think at least every 3 days they will come back if they think they can find a meal. The person I bought my sheep from had cougar problems too.

12. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I know he will be back, the sheriff already knows about the cats, they found one dead on the side of the rode. We also have black bears, bobcats, ring tailed cats, coyotes,eagles, hawks,vultures and feral dogs, my house is an armory. We lost a pot bellied pig to either a eagle or a bobcat. This morning we went out and got three Boers, a doe and her kid and a buck. I'll get picks tomorrow. The doe is named Ginger, the kid is Willow and the buck is Loki.

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Awww. Well, hopefully for your sake the one they found at the roadside was the the one that got your doe. Then maybe it won't be back.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry for your loss. It must of been horrible. Do you have a Llama? I have a feeling they would be a better protector then a dog with all that you have.

At least she went fast and is now in greener pastures. :hug:

15. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    The one on the roadside was two weeks ago and I have a donkey to protect them. Him and the horse chased the cat out of the pasture, the cat was super quick. This cat is 6ft long and about 200+lbs. The donkey has chased coyotes and dogs out of the pasture. He also licks the babies when they come out and will stand over them and gently nuzzle them until they get up. I had a baby that took awhile to stand and he became upset about it, started making noises and nudging the baby. He is also super gentle with them, they run up and down his back and nibble on his fur. He will charge the fence if he even smells a dog.

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Cougars and Bears both kill llamas.... I have a friend that just lost his guard llama to a Black Bear that went through the goat pasture.... luckily he had 3 Great Pyrenees that were smart and took all 45 goats and kids up to the barn where they were safe.... dumb llama charged the Bear... :(

I'm so sorry for your loss!!! That must have been awful. My mom has lost a goat to a cougar... it was a 6 month old Boer kid and it carried the thing over the fence like it was light as a feather!! Do you have Livestock Guardians? You may want to get a few..... So sad..... again, I'm sorry for your loss!!!! She was a beautiful doe. :tears: :hug:

17. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry...sounds like you are very lucky to have a sweet donkey like that!

18. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Her daughter, Bunny, has bonded with my other doe who was orphaned at about the same age, Snickers.
    Bunny
    [​IMG]
    Snickers
    [​IMG]

19. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It's good that she has bonded with another animal...

20. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    awww... that is great that they each have a friend! So sad that they are both orphans though! :tears: