Good bye Laredo

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Dover Farms, May 20, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    You were an awesome goat, even at your young age. You had the best temperment you could want in a calm and sweet. I am sorry we didn't think it was anything else other than you just "off" because of the feed switch until it was too late. The vet says is was an overload of cocci and you bled to death. The cocci count was 4+ and that's as high as it goes. But you never showed any signs of cocci....just lethargic and enemic. We talked to your breeder after you passed and before we talked to the vets...she suggested enterotoxemia, especially since we just switched the feeds, even though you had your two CD+T shots. She's had that happen before. We will always wonder if you had something else wrong, like there was never a single sign of cocci and we find it hard to believe a three month old like you would have such heavy load.

Laredo 2/15/08 ~ 5/19/08

Striking a pose:

Good bye you sweet boy. You were loved and will be greatly missed.
  2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oh Jacque I'm so sorry, he was such a pretty boy :cry: :hug:

3. Candy

Candy New Member

Oh Jacque, I'm so sorry for your loss. Laredo looks so much like my very first goat, Sparky. He's been gone for 4 yrs and I still think about him and the tears come. I think Sparky met Laredo at the Rainbow Bridge and they are waiting for us to join them some day!
  4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh, wow Jacque. I am so sorry that you lost him, he was such a beautiful little guy.

I do not like giving them anything they don't "need" but I do a round of Cocci prevention at 5 weeks old. Just to be on the safe side as Cocci is a really big problem here.
  5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm so sorry Jacque. He was so pretty. :hug:
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry, he certainly was a handsome little guy :hug:
  7. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    sorry to hear laredo has passed he was a very handsome boy
  8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. I had one that just acted a little off nothing you could really put your finger on it was more of a gut feeling or mother's instinct. When I told my family/friends one evening I was going to get a fecal done on Monday they thought I was crazy. Actually the vet only did the fecal to humor me too. He had no sign of cocci or worms, but when his fecal count came back the cocci was outrages high. He was also between 3 to 4 month old. I also run a prevented cocci treatment at about 1 to 1 1/2 month and feed a medicate creep feed now. Again so sorry for your loss. Shelly
  9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    he was full of expression- a real looker. I'm sorry you lost him. Cocci can be such a sneaky thing.
  10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Jacque, I am so sorry that you lost that beautiful boy. But as hard as it is , he was put here for a short time to teach us all a lesson. Cocci does not always have the exact same sign all the time. Hopefully others will learn from his passing. If a baby or young goat is off, do not EVER rule it out.
    :hug: :grouphug:
  11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everybody! I really appreciate it. God Bless you all! :pray:

We are going to Nicole's(his breeder) Monday to get his brother and the dry yearling(Fool) I was planning on getting. Nicole is so nice! Even though we are having to pay for another goat....she is letting us take as long as we need to get him paid off. :greengrin:

I sure miss the little(..erm...big) guy. :sigh:
  12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is really nice of her. That is a true loving goat person. She knows you are a honest and loving person.
    I bet you miss him, but you will always have him in you heart.
  13. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacque! I am so sorry :(. I haven't been online much, and I got an email from Sarah saying he had died :cry:. I am glad you are getting his brother and Fool though. Big hug to you!
  14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh no! I didn't hear anything about this! I'm so incredibly sorry! :tears:
  15. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
  16. doneroamingacres

doneroamingacres New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I'm so sorry for your loss, I know it can be hard to loose an animals friend!

RIP Jazzy
  17. Hodgson's Herd

Hodgson's Herd New Member

May 24, 2008
    I am very sorry that you lost your adorable goat. I know the feeling. I am sure you did the best you could. Carolyn