The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You were an awesome goat, even at your young age. You had the best temperment you could want in a buck....so calm and sweet. I am sorry we didn't think it was anything else other than you just "off" because of the feed switch until it was too late. The vet says is was an overload of cocci and you bled to death. The cocci count was 4+ and that's as high as it goes. But you never showed any signs of cocci....just lethargic and enemic. We talked to your breeder after you passed and before we talked to the vets...she suggested enterotoxemia, especially since we just switched the feeds, even though you had your two CD+T shots. She's had that happen before. We will always wonder if you had something else wrong, like entero....as there was never a single sign of cocci and we find it hard to believe a three month old like you would have such heavy load.

Laredo 2/15/08 ~ 5/19/08

Striking a pose:

Good bye you sweet boy. You were loved and will be greatly missed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oh Jacque, I'm so sorry for your loss. Laredo looks so much like my very first goat, Sparky. He's been gone for 4 yrs and I still think about him and the tears come. I think Sparky met Laredo at the Rainbow Bridge and they are waiting for us to join them some day!
Candy

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Oh, wow Jacque. I am so sorry that you lost him, he was such a beautiful little guy.

I do not like giving them anything they don't "need" but I do a round of Cocci prevention at 5 weeks old. Just to be on the safe side as Cocci is a really big problem here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. I had one that just acted a little off nothing you could really put your finger on it was more of a gut feeling or mother's instinct. When I told my family/friends one evening I was going to get a fecal done on Monday they thought I was crazy. Actually the vet only did the fecal to humor me too. He had no sign of cocci or worms, but when his fecal count came back the cocci was outrages high. He was also between 3 to 4 month old. I also run a prevented cocci treatment at about 1 to 1 1/2 month and feed a medicate creep feed now. Again so sorry for your loss. Shelly

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Jacque, I am so sorry that you lost that beautiful boy. But as hard as it is , he was put here for a short time to teach us all a lesson. Cocci does not always have the exact same sign all the time. Hopefully others will learn from his passing. If a baby or young goat is off, do not EVER rule it out.
:hug: :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody! I really appreciate it. God Bless you all! :pray:

We are going to Nicole's(his breeder) Monday to get his brother and the dry yearling(Fool) I was planning on getting. Nicole is so nice! Even though we are having to pay for another goat....she is letting us take as long as we need to get him paid off. :greengrin:

I sure miss the little(..erm...big) guy. :sigh:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
That is really nice of her. That is a true loving goat person. She knows you are a honest and loving person.
I bet you miss him, but you will always have him in you heart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts