The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bekkidotes
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have had three very miniature goats for the past 3-4 weeks and I love them to pieces. I did a lot of research and stocked my goat medical cabinet to the brim before getting them, but I've recently been second-guessing my choice to have Quest Plus on hand as a go-to chemical dewormer... My young goats are all only 30-50 lb and I'm terrified of overdosing them if I have to administer it! I would have to administer less than half a CC on the smaller ones if the dosages I've seen on TGS are correct, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for error with this dewormer. :|

I've heard around that Ivermectin is harder to overdose a goat on, but I wanted to come to you guys and gals for your experience since I know chemical dewormers are an ever-changing topic as more parasites develop immunity. I also know that underdosing can be just as bad for the goat, so I want to get it right!

My goats were all dewormed before coming to me and I have been using herbal dewormers, pasture rotation, and DE to help prevent outbreaks, but I know there is no way to completely keep myself from having to use a chemical dewormer forever as somebody will likely have an outbreak eventually.

Am I just being crazy about the Quest Plus? Or are there other dewormers you think would be safer on very small goats?

Thanks so much in advance, guys!

·
Bekkidotes
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Karen, thanks for the advice! I still have a lot to learn about this.

My goats don't have any symptoms of worm overload so I didn't think I could do fecals to determine that at this time, is this the right line of thinking or should I just do the fecals and stock up on the corresponding dewormer?

I think my main concern is that if they started having symptoms I would be concerned they were exposed to a new parasite and want to do a fecal then.

I also wanted to have some options I can use at the house because I live in a rural area and I can't get specific dewormers as fast as I'd like... Would it make sense in this case to keep different classes of dewormers on hand so I could treat my goats as soon as I knew what parasites I was dealing with?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
59,931 Posts
I would do fecals just to see what they have. Then you can know what parasites you may have to deal with in the different seasons. A rainy period can make a difference. Like I know coccidia is one I have to watch for in the spring even with my adults.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts