Good Day gets better

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by StaceyRosado, Nov 2, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    decided that my day was no longer bad so I needed a new thread.

Well I got a call back from another manager of a Great Clips Salon.

I have an interview on Thursday! She seems really interested and says they are short staffed so that is good I may just get the big break here I need.

only problem is it is still a distance from home but I can push past that if it means a "promotion" from shampoo.

Pray for me as on Monday I have a scheduled meeting with my current boss about other things but I don't know what will tanspire and not having the interview till Thursday I can't talk to her about me moving on till I know I have a job lined up.

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I will be thinking about you and hoping for a great outcome.

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Keep in mind it will all work out. ;)

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know I know, I need to stop worrying about it.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Good luck Stacey! Don't worry you'll make it!

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You are right Stacie. STOP WORRYING. If that is is the big mans plans, then it will happen. Maybe you are just being tested to see what you will do or what you can take.
    Hang in there. As a hair dresser I do not believe you are aloud to :hair:
    LOL.
    Hand in there, the right job will come when it is the right time.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not worried about getting the job but worried about dealing with my boss until I can get to the interview on Thursday. I really wish now we didn't have this meeting.

Oh well, I am more determined then ever to move on, I just can't stand the drive. I have even tried different routes and nothing is quicker then 40 minutes! :sigh:

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am hoping for you Stacey!! 40 minutes is a pretty good drive but if it is a better job then I would do it.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no no the new job would only be 20-30 minutes my current job is 40 minutes

12. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    I count myself sooo lucky to be able to work from my home. I hafta admit I miss the interaction one gets from fellow employees not to mention the general public. I pretty much do all of my communicating online. That said, I spent lotsa years commuting the 40 miles into the city centre from my little plot o' dirt out here in the country. So I'm not totally unfamiliar with long drives. The only time it really bugged me was in the winter when the roads are icy. Not much fun... but, thank goodness, never had an accident.

Reading about your upcoming interview Stacy, made me recall an interview I attended several years ago while trying to get on with a large ad agency in the city's downtown. Ad agencies are a fairly informal group vis a vis acceptable work attire and so I felt both comfortable and confident wearing clean jeans, shirt, tie and hiking boots. The thing about hiking boots is they have these lace hooks at the top as opposed to ordinary holes. As I sat at across the desk from the HR person, I feigned a casual aire by leaning forward (signaling I was paying rapt attention to her every word) and crossed my feet beneath me. In doing so, I was startled to learn that I had inadvertently caught the loop of the lace of one boot in the lace hooks of the other, effectively tying me feet together beneath my chair. As I struggled to loose my feet one from the other, I continued to hold unbroken eye contact with the interviewer, all the while knowing, sooner or later, I would be required to stand and leave. But the more I struggled the more entangled I seemed to become... I couldn't even uncross my legs!

Trying to maintain the illusion I was focussed on her every word, I began to perspire profusely from both the squirming and the sad realization that I was not going to get this job. I can't imagine the expression she witnessed as I struggled to motionlessly extricate myself... but I do know it certainly was a different one than I wished to convey. As what seemed like the longest interview I had ever attended came to an end, and the woman stood to shake my hand and send me off with a, "Thank you; we'll keep your resume on file." I knew all was lost. She watched bewildered as, instead of standing to take my leave, I bent beneath the desk and grunted caveman-like while trying to untangle my laces. Finally, after what seemed to me like an eternity, I arose, red-faced and perspiring from both embarrassment and exertion with a realization my foot had fallen asleep from having the circulation cut off. I clasped her nervous hand in my sweaty palm, returning her handshake, let go and awkwardly limped out the door, dragging my foot along behind me. If you're still wondering whether or not I got the job... you just haven't been paying attention.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :ROFL:

Oh dear that is just terrible!!!

Well tomorrow I am nervous because I know my current boss has been working to make things better in the salon and I hate to go to this meeting and then in a couple days tell her I am leaving. I know she expects us (other shampoo girl and myself) to be asking her when we can get our own chairs so I would assume that she has some idea on how that will happen and put effort into making changes in the salon to that effect.

I need to stop worrying about it I know but I hate to put people out and then I wonder if I am making the right decision etc.

So anyway I need prayers for tomorrow at 10:30-11:00 EST as I have my meeting with her.

My interview for the new job isnt till 4:30pm on Thursday.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well Stacey I wish you luck! I am sure that there will be nothing to worry about as far as getting the job come Thursday...just don't wear hiking boots!!( That was a funny story creaturesall!) And as far as this meeting goes tomorrow...well I hope that there would be the offer of advancement at least if not more pay to compensate on the gas mileage! You can always give your 2 weeks notice and cross your fingers that all goes well Thursday. :D

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The problem is that i know I cant advance in this salon, there is no way I can build up my book under the current way things are run. we don't get walk ins and hardly any new clients and even then most of them want an experienced stylist not a junior stylist.

I like shampooing but I have an itch to actually get into the stylist position.

Great Clips isn't the best job but I hope to use it as a spring board for another job that is nicer. Getting experience is such a hard thing, everyone wants you to have it and not many people are willing to give you a shot to achieve it.

Now my boss has been great, just slow in the process I guess. *sigh* don't want to make the wrong decision.

And then I think "the drive alone is what is going to make me leave even if the position is good" :hair:

I over analyise things to much I know.

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    With gas, car insurance and stuff, working close to where you live is a definite plus. Not to mention I don't consider time spent in the car as living. Many times I arrived at work without a single memory of how I got there. Booooo Hisssss on commuting.
    Creatures all- I can relate to your funny story- some day I might tell a feminine version of that involving a half slip- the emphasis on that would be the slip part.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well personally I am tired of being tired when i get home.

and I am frustrated with being frustrated when I get home.

So a shorter commute would be good. Especialy when kidding season arrives!

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacie,
    Tell me if I have this right. You did pass your state board, and you are a licensed styles?

If that is true to fact, then you need to go and for yourself you need to get a job where you can do what you went to school for. I am sure you did not go to school to learn only learn how to wash someones hair. Now don't get me wrong. I will give very nice tips is someone when washing my hair, would really massage it. There is nothing more relaxing then that. (oK, a full body massage maybe). If I am feeling a little sore and feeling like I need to treat myself to something and i do not have time for a full body massage, (I wish I had the time for that), i will go to the salon and just get a great shampoo.
    I Know, I am a little weird. But if anyone is tense and just overwhelmed, that works great.

Good Luck and I have been thing about you and your NEW job.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Was just wondering how your meeting with your current boss went???? It was yesterday..right?

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes sweetgoat you are right that is why I am moving on, I am greatful for the job I have but I want to advance into what I am licensed for. I didn't got to school for 2 years to stand behind a shampoo bowl and clean up after all the stylist all day long.

sorry I ment to update you all and then things got busy at work and then I was so relieved after the meeting I stopped worrying. lol

So the meeting went well, she actually didn't put herself out at all :mad: and it kind of made me realize even more that I have no real future there. She said "oh by the time you girls are ready to be on the floor we will have openings" this was in reference to her just hiring a new girl! I was in my head like when I am ready? I am ready NOW I don't want to wait till you decide you want me on the floor!

so I have the interview at the new job on Thursday. Pray it all goes well and that it isn't a pay cut, I am trying to trust the Lord on this as well.

And also to not jump at the first opportunity because I may miss a better one down the road. Sometimes I am quiick to get myself out of things and I don't wait for the RIGHT opportunty but grab the one that seems right and the easy way out.

Thanks all for caring enough to check up on me :hug: