The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just wanted to show what good food and good mineral can do for your goaties. The bucks came here eight months ago. This is Donatello when we first got him and then this mornin. I know sometimes to newbies it is all overwhelming and many of us talk a LOT about mineral and the hows and whats of it and how it is so important. But look at my handsome boy now compared to the not quite so handsome boy that he was eight months ago.

My boys came from a knowledgeable breeder. She gave a really good mineral that was high in copper but she never bolused them sayin that they ate their mineral like crazy. They were only fed hay and pasture grasses. She sent me home with their "good mineral that they loved"..... and they NEVER touched it. So they started gettin what we give our other goats. At first we did replamin dose them as well.. now they get it when they are trussed up gettin copper, hoof trims or wormed. They eat their mineral like crazy goats when they need it. We do feed alfalfa pellet, beet pulp and grain... two parts alfalfa pellet to one and one grain and pulp..not quite a cup a day per dude.and it gets laced with ammonium chloride.... so just a taste but it was how we made friends with the wild children that they were. I baited their feed today a bit more so i could snap a few pics. So yes my dudes are spoiled. Be very careful of giving grain to the boys though... this works for ours but it may not for yours. They also get good hay and pasture grasses and forage all day every day. And they get copper bolused every three to four months.

The only manky lookin hair on D is the top of his neck scruff (i dont think you can see it in this pic).... but it is only the long guard hairs that he has not shed and the tips of his beard. His hair is super soft now where it was very wiry and coarse. Overlook the wee fluffs near his rump as he is moltin his wintry woolies. His scurs however much i dont care for them to be are growin. His hooves look much better. And we rarely need worm him.

So all the newbies that look at this.... when someone on here asks you and tries explain how very important mineral is..... LISTEN to their advice. It DOES make a huge difference. :). I had never heard or read that loose mineral is better for goats vs a block, or never even heard of replamin or how to use it, i knew about copper bolus from researchin how to care for goats but i would have never given them it any sooner than the package directions said had someone not explained to me about well water and the binding of the minerals that happen from it.

Both pics are nice sunny days and no editing was done on either pic to make him look prettier.

10FD31C4-D837-4545-9BCB-48C2F377E1AF.jpeg
BC2B8324-DB6A-4156-891D-874A3B06EE20.jpeg

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
(highfive) This is a fantastic visual testimony on the importance of nutritional supplement with minerals. Also, it shows the diligent care you provide for your herd. (thumbup)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Great write up! Good job on nutrition and minerals! :goodjob:
Provide link to this ever time you say hello to a newbie.:clever:

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(highfive) This is a fantastic visual testimony on the importance of nutritional supplement with minerals. Also, it shows the diligent care you provide for your herd. (thumbup)
Thanks! We may not be able to afford the best animals... but we do look under the surface when we buy. And we do try to give each animal group the things they need to thrive and have a nice happy jealthy life here no matter how long that may be. :).

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
He is beautiful. I thought the corse hair was normal. Seeing everyone's pics tells me my goats are missing something. It is a bit overwhelming. I dont understand everything you are talking about. But I am looking into it. Thanks
Some goats coats are more coarse naturally and some feel like satin... just depends on each goat. Tristan the other buck has coarse hair except for his silky ears. And when you have questions make you your own post like you have done today and ask away! There is a wealth of knowledge here and everyone shares so so freely. It is wonderful! @mariarose is a WONDERFUL mineral lady! Post pics of your goats and see what other say they think they might need. :).

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is one groovy change in your little man! Great job!!!!
I have been seein and feelin (when we sneak long rubs down his back as often as we can) changes in his coat and was excited to see what he was gonna look like when he molted. I am SUPER happy with him now.:). I was iffy bring them home really truth be told. Tristan is big to me at least for a high gen mini nubian and Donatello just looked so run down and thin. But both boys conformation is very nice, the two were a bonded pair, and holy cow the price for them cause she was getting out of minis and focusing again on full sized nubians. Both boys were pretty wormy even though their famacha was actually pretty darn good for as wormy as they were. So i took the chance on them and am pleased as punch. :) D makes really beautiful small kids too! He gave five of the six his baby blues and his colors he shares as well. If only he were polled.... but it is ok. My chance worked out for us in a good way. :).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I love this!

Reactions: Sfgwife
1 - 18 of 18 Posts