The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my girls have been laughing at me again. I thought I was so smart.....sigh. You see, I just turned my buck in with his ladies a little while back. So far I have been worried because he was showing so signs that he was even a buck. He just seemed delighted to have company. Well, yesterday that changed when my boss doe came into heat. They have been making a grand display and educating the neighborhood children. No problem so far, now they have been carrying on for over 24 hours and the next ranking doe came into heat this morning. She is flagging and posturing and trying to get the buck's attention but the queen won't allow it. He would start to get the idea and go on over but the queen would cut him off or run off the other doe. I watched this for a couple of hours thinking that he would eventually work up to it but no dice. The queen was persistant and the buck adores her. I really want this doe bred because she is my son's full blood paint. So,... I pulled the queen out of the herd, locked her in the sick pen, opened the gate to the pasture and pushed the herd out closing the gate behind them. Silly girls wouldn't go. They stood just outside the gate and stared pitifully out at the green pasture, but with no boss to lead them they just couldn't make themselves go. I left them there and went to work. A few hours later I get a call from the neighbor telling me that the buck is now educating passersby up close and personal on the side of the road with his lady friend and were they supposed to be doing that? The paint doe did eventually have her way so that mission was accomplished but the problem remained that now my goats were all on the road and I was far away. Sigh again. Just because they had no leader they got lost on 5 acres?!? Couldn't stand to use the pasture that they visit every day?! Thankfully, my son was home and willing to put the herd away in the night pen. I normally don't want him anywhere near the buck as he is only 12, but he did a fine job. When I got home, I put the queen back in with the herd. She walked past me snickering, while the girls all hid their smiles behind their mouthfuls of hay. The buck peed all over for her and lied through his teeth and flapped his tongue about his oh so faithful love. What a bunch of brats, but God help me....I love them.

·
Registered
31,049 Posts
LOL....:slapfloor:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts