Good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by HoosierShadow, Jan 22, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So I was thinking tonight... we have 3 does due in 5 weeks.

Snow White and her July doe, Summer are best friends, and Snow White still looks out for Summer.
    When Snow White kids, I was considering keeping Summer with her and see how they do together with the new kid/s. I've heard of people doing this, so that the bond between the mom, older daughter and newborns is a strong one.
    I've heard that if we seperate Summer, then Snow White may push her away and their bond be broken.

Summer can always hang out with our doe who is due at the end of April, but I'd sure like to try and keep her with her mama if they get along after she kids.

Anyone do this, and how does it work out for you?

2. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    The does I have are mother/daughter and are bonded. The breeder kept them together, they kidded within a day of each other and then raised all the kids together - the kids nursed off both does. I am keeping them together for this kidding too since it worked out so well the last time.

3. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I wouldn't advice against it. lol

But we did have one case where we kept two does together in a stall. One was a FF. The experienced doe kidded two kids. The FF kinda bonded with them too. Let them sleep with her and snuggle. But when the FF kidded, she rejected her own kid and allowed the other does kids to nurse off of her. We had to bottle feed the one, but the other two had two moms and did very well! LOL

Not saying it will happen, but if mom kids first, you never know what may happen. :)

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ive done this for a couple years and its worked out very well, there were a couple times when the younger doe got angry that her mom wasnt paying attention to her and she rammed the kids, but thats it and it was never bad.

I would do it, just try it once and if it doesnt work, at least you know!

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Goats usually keep thier family bonds even if seperated for a time. I think it's a great idea!
    I have put a pair of FF sisters in a bldg to kid & they did fine. Just had to put the first set of kids in a box while #2 was busy having hers. She didnt need their help & neither did I! :shades:
    Last yr for some reason I put a Nubian in with her daughter who had just kidded, the grandkids bonded with her & all of them slept together outside as the kids grew.

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have some does that are tightly bonded to their daughters, and one family that is not. If they were kidding at the same time I wouldn't hesitate to have them together. The ones that are together anyway, that is. Some of them have been separated too, and when they are back together they are back together. It kind of looks genetic to me, the families either stick together or they don't. The one that doesn't is an excellent mother, she just moves on once they are weaned.

Jan

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much for the replies! Summer isn't pregnant so no worries there. I think the only thing that 'could' be an issue is even though she's been weaned for months, she still tests mama at the udder, sniffing, and has ticked off a couple of the other does that are getting udders too. I don't think Snow White would allow her to nurse though, as she is very strict about it, but who knows? Hopefully this won't be an issue, or I'd definitely seperate her.
    I guess I worry too much, I just don't want Summer by herself since we only have 5 adult does and 3 would be locked up in the barn, another is very protective of her kids and doesn't like Summer at all, and then the April doe...heh....well she's at the bottom of the pecking order so she's not hard to get along with :)