The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought Bella home on Monday. She has a little bit if scours yesterday, but that cleared up. She was born on 6/7/13 and she was weaned at 4 weeks... She's not eating grain... So pretty much soaked alfalfa pellets, hay, and browse... I'm concerned she's not getting enough nutrition, so I thought I would try a bottle (as she tries to suck my finger) just once a day for a month until she starts eating the grain.... Good idea or not?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Yes! She is too young to be weaned. Get her on a bottle, I use the Pritchard nipple, but even a human baby nipple will do. You can give her whole cow milk from the store, warm it (they like it surprisingly warm), and add a little bit of Karo syrup (clear). I would be giving her 3 bottles a day (is she a mini?) start slow...4-5 ounces at a time. She will want more when she gets the hang of it, but, don't overfeed her (you can kill her with kindness)!

You want her to be a "little" hungry after her bottle, so she gets to eating hay/grain/browse as soon as possible. Watch to see that she is gaining weight.

I'm sorry someone would sell you a baby that young without these instructions. Shame on them.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay! She took the bottle. I only gave her 8 oz. I have Prichard teat nipples anyway. I actually figured it out when he said they were weaned by the end of June, and then later he sent me her birthday and she was born June 7th. So yikes... She is so sweet anyway after this I might have a lap goat:) She is a cross between American Alpine and oberhasli, I have the CAE and CL testing papers from him, I'm glad they at least practice that. Here is a pic of her.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How often are you bottling her? If I'm understanding the time line, 8 oz might be a little too much. I think I would cut it down to maybe 4 ounces, give her a bottle twice a day, and build it up over the course of a few days to prevent scours. Just a thought. :) It is always better to prevent a stomach upset than to have to get a baby over it. ;)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My goal is 16 oz per day, so I'm doing 2 8oz bottles... She seems to be fine... No scours... I'm hoping it will be okay... Since I have 2 goats in milk now I'm giving her that..., so maybe that's why she's okay..:) I'm puzzled though... How did she even survive? If she was born on June 7th, weaned by the end of June, and only got loose minerals, minimal browse, and orchard hay... For the last month and a half... all I can say is wow. When she tried to "suck" my fingers, usually at this stage they bite, she didn't... She doesn't seem unhealthy, she acts normal, she's alert and likes to follow me around like a dog... I just wanna make sure she has a good start, cause I got her for milking.... and as a pet... :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Goats are a lot hardier than people tend to give them credit for, and there is also this thing called will to live - that counts for a whole lot! A goats rumen is developed enough to extract nutrients from solid food by the time they reach a month old, and orchard grass is a good, nutritious hay. The minerals also helped. If by 'browse', you mean weeds then that was a huge plus in her favor as weeds tend to have a protein content of around 28% overall. I think the biggest factor is that she is a fighter, though. Just my .02. I'm so glad that she is doing well for you! :) No baby should be weaned at a month old unless absolutely necessary - and I'm talking life and death necessary. Good job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts