good lawn mowers.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by motherof5boys1girl, Aug 5, 2009.

1. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    i cant count the ads on craigslist that say this. it seems like when the cuteness of having a baby goat wears off, some people want to dump them off on someone else under the guise of them being good lawn mowers...when (speaking for my goats here) they really eat brush and leaves.
    :roll:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, mine only eat grass when nothing else is available for the most part...

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    mine like windowsills though. and screwdrivers! my husband was fixing their pen over the weekend, and jack actually snatched up a small screwdriver and tried to run for it! :slapfloor:
    i have only been a goat owner for a year now..but have there always been people who get the bottle goats and when they stop being tiny and small enough to tote around, just get rid of them? its mean!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They should replace lawn mowers with weed eaters. You should have seen mine when I turned them out on 4-5 foot coshure (sp) weeds! They at the entire 2 acres down to the bottom part of the stem! But yeah, grass...not so much.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    to cute and funny... :ROFL: :ROFL:

Mine.....when I let them out in the front yard in the spring.....I think... oh yeah.... they will eat down the lawn....but no.... they hit and miss....LOL....they are definitely not good lawn mowers....... :doh:
    It is sad... that people refer to a goat that way....because they aren't lawn mowers...they are just hungry goats....nibbling on a lawn....LOL....but prefer brush and trees.. :wink:

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Mine will eat anything they can get hold of....unless it falls in the dirt.

Then it's gross. :roll:

8. Not to mention the misleading part of you don't need to feed them a thing. :roll:

9. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    yeah that is a good one...mine are pigs! i had a box of nails in my hands the other day and they started crying because they thought it was snack time or something.

10. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    If they are such good lawn mowers why am I out their with a push mower, mowing their paddock? :scratch:

Jennah

11. Well, if that is all they have and they are STARVING I am sure they are great on eating just grass. :roll: :angry: :veryangry:

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

This is why i like sending my whethers for meat rather then a "pet home" once that cuteness wears off...people tend to want to get rid of them or start neglecting them.
    AS for eating, my girls will eat grass, but then tend to snack, they take a little grass here some blackberry bush there, back to the grass, oooh fern....
    I once had a goat that ate nails, i dont know why but she loved them. I had to pull nails out of her mouth a couple of times when we were working on the barn. I try to keep things like that out of reach but we all know how that goes with a goat...
    beth

13. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    i love my whether..i think hes nicer than the girls, most of the time.
    personally, i think mine have gotten cuter since i bought them, but i have an unnatural attachment to them i think! :help: :dance:

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have 4 wethers (2 yearlings and 2 - 7month olds) and I LOVE MY BOYS :love: ! They are the best pets ever......before the goats came we had talked about selling the farm and moving to a lake house......but NO WAY now.....not as long as my boys are alive, unless they can come to! :greengrin:

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

There is a smalol handfull of people that do love their whethers and treat them very well. I did sell a pair of whethers last year to a family, their kids have trained them to pull a cart and they are getting along great.
    If a home that i know is going to be a good home comes along, then great im thrilled but i dont push my whethers to fins a good home. If they go for meat at least i know they wont be neglected.
    beth

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Beth.....I most certainly see your point.......I just can not stand to see any animal neglected..... I just don't understand why people get pets and then do not give them the best of care.....makes me sick!

17. Janne

Janne New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    My goats will only eat grass if it's as tall as they are. Our neighbors stole our key last summer and it took us forever to replace it. Eventually, my goats started eating the tall grass until it was back to being about knee-high to them. Then they went back to their hillside forage. My goats are so weird... :roll: