The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the heartbreaking final day for my Pygmy wether,Jasper. A few weeks ago I noticed he was having a bit of trouble using the bathroom. I began treating him with ammonium chloride, in about a week and a half or so he was peeing normally again. After monitoring it for a few days I thought he was fine and just had some grit blockage that the ammonium chloride cleared up. A few days ago,
however I went out to feed him and at first he was his normal jumpy self. When my dad went to feed him in the afternoon he was still fine. But an hour later he was on the ground, screaming. His sides were stiff, one side more than the other. So we diagnosed it as bloat. We attempted to give him vegetable oil and baking soda to try to expel the air from his stomach, to no avail though. My dad ran him to the vet yesterday. It was much worse than we thought. The vet took a blood sample and found urine in the blood, meaning his bladder ruptured. The cause was a kidney stone. The urine had already poisoned his system. They wanted to put him down on the spot, my dad wanted a little more time with him though and he knew I would want to be there and say my goodbyes. So they gave him a shot of pain medicine and my dad brought him back home. We spent a while with him last night, petting him and talking to him. In about an hour I'm going to give him one more shot of pain medicine, and then at 4pm, a vet will come out to the house to end my baby's suffering forever. I am very blessed to have spent nearly 5 years with him, I raised Jasper from a 4 month old kid and the amount of love I have for him can't be described. When I showed him at the fair for a couple years we made a great team, I am extremely lucky to have had such an amazing companion. I love you Jasper, I know you'll be back in the Lord's arms again soon, I pray I'll see you again someday, but I know I can't let you suffer so I have to let you go baby. Thank you to everyone of TGS who have helped me with questions involving Jasper and treating him over the years. I have learned so much thanks to the amazing community here.
God bless you all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the nice posts everyone, it really means a lot. This was always the greatest and most supportive goat community, you guys are the best. I'm just trying to make the most of the hours I have left with him. Again thank you everyone, not just for showing support today but for always showing support ever since I joined TGS. I'll keep this post updated through Jasper's final hours. He is currently laying down in his shelter just trying to stay comfortable.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I am so sorry.

Reactions: Oreosmom

·
mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo
227 Posts
OMG, your heart must be breaking. I hate times like this. But it comes down to quality of life for Jasper, his little body no longer can hold the greatness of his soul. So sad, but he's going to a better place. Please find peace tonight knowing your doing the right thing. Prayers are with you and Jasper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again thank you everyone, it's been a rough day. The vet came out and put an end to his suffering. We buried him next to the entrance of the back hay field. I'm still processing that I won't see his little face anymore, but I know this was the right thing to do. Again thank you all for your support! He will forever have a place in my heart and his memories will always stay with me. Rest well Jasper, till I see you again.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I am so sorry. :( *hugs*

Reactions: CountryBreeze
1 - 16 of 16 Posts