The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
I am truly sorry for your loss. :(
Love goes a long way, even beyond.

Greener pastures and now happiness with no pain.

Your baby is looking down to you and watching over you with love.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
This morning felt very peaceful. It’s the best night sleep I’ve had in a week. It already feels life is moving on, and Pumpkin Spice is in the spot Treasure left behind. My sister said she’s surprised I’m taking Treasure’s loss better than other members of the family. I think I’ve been waiting to move forward because I had been mourning since Tuesday. On Monday, the local vet said she was likely dying if she didn’t perk up with IV fluids by Tuesday. In my heart, I believed she was running out of time. I prepared myself over a few days. Of course, I tried to bring her around myself, and she went to the university…But in the back of my head, I was just waiting for bad news, especially when they wouldn’t tube feed her food. I’ve read the rumen shuts down and can cause the goat to go into organ failure, and starvation leads to ketosis. Each day she didn’t get food or eat on her own, I knew her chance of survival was lowering dramatically. It also showed how serious her condition was.

She may not have been destined to survive after labor. All these things went wrong for her. Yesterday they detected kidney failure, beginning of liver failure, and her blood breaking down. When she first arrived there her kidney levels were high but not alarming. They thought that was from toxins from the retained placenta. There were just so many things stacked against her. I’m hoping I didn’t cause the copper toxicity, which would put my other goats at grave risk. They store the excess copper in their liver and release it during times of serious stress, poisoning themselves. It sounds like it takes a longer period of time for their livers to store that much copper. Since the previous breeder had an issue with copper toxicity, I’m going to hope the excess copper was from then, and watch Shamrock very closely for the rest of her life just in case I can catch it early. Then maybe post on here in panic…

If anyone remembers 😉 I kept posting on this site about Treasure’s pregnancy and thought her sides dropped about 7 days before she actually kidded. When her sides looked like they’d dropped, and she did not go into labor, I started to feel something was wrong. I posted every few days thinking it was the day she would kid. She kidded at day 149, but looked like she was going to kid a week earlier. I bet the mummified fetuses were throwing off her hormones. She also looked like she might have been having an occasional contraction a few times a day. I didn’t feel as strong kid activity as I did with my other goats’ pregnancies. She didn’t eat as much as when she wasn’t pregnant but wasn’t losing weight. If anything she gained weight. A vet student told me the mummified placentas had fused together. All the abnormalities make it so fantastic that Pumpkin survived! One of my happiest memories will be feeling a set of teeth, and it biting my finger when I went in expecting to find a monster. Seeing an orange and white kid that looks like her is so healing. If we were destined to lose her after kidding one day, I’m sure happy she had a live kid that looks like her. I think she put everything into him.❤ I’ll always wonder if there’s something that could have prevented this. I’m waiting for the necropsy results. That might answer more questions. In my heart, I think there were small things I noticed that made me feel nervous, but I didn’t know why. I had such a weird feeling about Treasure’s pregnancy.
Dog Working animal Dog breed Carnivore Fawn
Dog Orange Window Plant Wood
Dog breed Wood Fawn Whiskers Terrestrial animal
Building Plant Orange Cucurbita Pumpkin

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Her necropsy results came back. Her kidneys were failing and appeared damaged (I think he said?), her liver was beginning to fail, her uterus was infected, one mammary gland was inflamed. She DID NOT have copper toxicity! I feel quite relieved about that! They did not test for chlamydia, which I am pretty annoyed about. I know for most goats they have mummies or abort once and then are immune, but she was bred the next heat cycle and may not have time to become immune. I wish I had that peace of mind and honestly felt a little disrespected. I was told by the head of staff she specifically added a note to test for that. 😖 Bleh.

Vet couldn’t explain why her blood cells were breaking down and her organs were failing. I do believe not eating for 6 days (besides what I’d managed to drench her) may have hugely contributed to her body breaking. That said, there is a possibility she had an autoimmune disorder, and there is just nothing that could have been done. I let the previous owner know Treasure did not have copper toxicity, and I’m sure she is relieved neither of us contributed to that.

Pumpkin is doing great! He doubled his weight from two weeks ago to last week. I’m going to weigh him again tomorrow to see how much he weighs at a day shy of 3 weeks old. Weird thing about him, though: he sleeps with his eyes open. That appears to be his “normal,” since he seems fine in every other way. He’s incredibly active and has learned a few tricks for his bottle to channel excitement and keep him from jumping up on me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I’ve also decided to put him in with my girl Blizzard in a pen we have closer to the house next month. I let them get to know each other. She is very gentle with him. If they do breed, that’s ok. If they don’t breed, I will set Blizzard up for a quick date with Cowboy, and then put her back with Pumpkin until he is big enough to be with the Nigerian bucks.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts