The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided that I needed to start a thread for my girls because otherwise, I will be creating way too many threads. I am including my grandma's goats as well since she doesn't have an account nor a farm name. We are expecting babies starting (boer) December 20-sometime in March or April (boer, Nigerian, and guernsey). The December boer girls that are first-fresheners have udders forming already and they have huge bellies! It's hard to get pictures and the camera makes them look smaller than they are.
Snow Dog breed Freezing Beak Slope
Vertebrate Working animal Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal
Has anyone used a pregtoner before? I was basically given one this year and I love it! Just wondering if there's any tricks to getting it to detect amniotic fluid in girls that carry their babies weird? My Nigerian doe should be bred and yesterday, I could sometimes get it to detect a body of fluid (definitely not her bladder) but it was a weird spot. She definitely carries her babies lower than most goats. I am still going to draw blood to get a for sure positive since I'm still new to the pregtoner, but any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgive my ignorance but what's a pregtoner? Is it like an ultrasound? I've never heard of one. Curious minds want to know.

Pretty does you have there! Can't wait to see the kids as they come along.
Sorry, just saw this! A pregtoner is kind of like an ultrasound but there's no screen, just a beeping sound. It will flatline once it detects a body of fluid. There are a fair amount of false positives with them since people tend to aim them at their bladder but I haven't had a false one yet since you aim the wand a bit further forward.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this is probably one of the first does bred and she's huge! She's a first timer so we probably couldn't even take a somewhat accurate guess on how many she has in there.

November 13
Snow Working animal Mammal Bison Fawn

November 24
Mammal Grass Liver Dog breed Wood
To top it all off, she's already swollen back there and the first possible due date is Dec. 20th!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to go out and visit the Boers today; we're all taking bets on who is going to kid first since the three December first timers have the same due date [Dec. 17]. They all are loose/swollen and have beautiful udders (sorry if that sounds weird for Boers but I do the dairy while mom and grandparents do the meat).

Norma Jean
Dog breed Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal Trunk

Rainy
Liver Dog breed Grass Terrestrial animal Chicken
Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Grass Carnivore

Oreo
Beak Penguin Plant Grass Terrestrial animal
Goat Wood Grass Fawn Goat-antelope

Also got a pic of the girl that is due about a week after the three, Bratty. Poor girl's tummy just about touches the ground.
Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Working animal Snout

January due date girls:

Scarlett (January's only non-first timer)
Vertebrate Light Fence Mammal Grass

Kimber
Wheel Tire Vertebrate Automotive tire Tread

Fern
Fawn Carnivore Terrestrial animal Grass Polar bear

And I somehow didn't get a picture of Sky, but oh well.

The rest of the goaties are due later in the year. Getting close!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh their getting so close that it's making me antsy!! The girl that's due in later-December is so wide that she can barely squat to go pee. Her tummy just about touches the ground but her tummy is built weird anyway so who knows if babies have dropped or not; if they haven't then her tummy will most definitely be dragging on the ground. The pics are from a week ago. View attachment 192949 View attachment 192951
Eye Vertebrate Liver Mammal Goat
View attachment 192955 View attachment 192953

1 - 20 of 177 Posts