GoodEnuff Farm Kidding Thread Late 20-21

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by goodenuff, Nov 14, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Wow, she took a long break between the two kids??!?!

goodenuff and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. MadHouse

They all want Christmas babies!!! That’s great!

goodenuff and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. goodenuff

goodenuff Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Alright, so while I currently have a break.since Beatty's being generous and giving us some time, I'll update everything.

About an hour after Rainey's boy, she had a
    girl that's the same size, if not larger. I ended up having to bring the not-so-little girl inside since she was frozen, literally. I got her nice and warm and all dried up then took her back outside to nurse on mom. Mom loves her to bits now and let's her nurse.

I go out to check Bratty and Oreo when I noticed that Oreo had some white discharge and next thing I knew, she had huge contractions. After about 10 minutes, she finally laid down and let me help her get a monster buck out. (She of course had her babies out in the snow). After a few minutes, a smaller, red girl slipped right out. All while this is happening, Bratty's having small, spaced-out contractions. Got the babies all warmed up and dried so while Bratty is having her small, very spaced out contractions, we're getting a break and getting warm since serve been outside since practically 6:00 this morning and it's now 1:00.

4. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Rainey's babies, girl has the pink vest and the boy has the blue doggy sweater. 20201224_120005.jpg

5. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Oreo's babies, the red is the doe and the traditional is the buck. 20201224_113818.jpg

6. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Kind of a weird question: can the mom's colostrum freeze in her udder? Oreo's first wasn't coming out at all, then was like cottage cheese. Now, you can get it out if you pinch at the top and run your squeezed fingers down her teats. The milk is like a gel medicine and is sticky and thick. Is this normal in winter? Is it okay for babies to suck in her? Do they need to be bottlefed instead?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  7. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    She could have mastitis even without even kidding before? This is her first freshening so I thought she wouldn't have mastitis yet.

8. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    So Bratty had triplet boys, one brown traditional and two black traditionals! One of the blacks is an absolute monster; he's the biggest baby I've ever seen and he's the youngest out of everyone so far. He's bigger than his brothers and half-siblings. Bratty has also decided to start feeding and being the mom of Oreo's babies since she doesn't see to be to interested in being a mom right now. 20201224_140525.jpg

9. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    These are now Bratty's bunch. 20201224_145909.jpg

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  10. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Forgot to show y'all who these first girls are bred to! They're bred to our almost-2-year-old commercial Boer buck Brady. IMG_20201204_155145482~2.jpg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  11. MadHouse

Congratulations on all the babies!
    It sounds to me like Oreo is not well, what with the cottage cheese colostrum and not wanting to feed babies. I agree with NDO 707 to check for mastitis.

12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful kidds. So glad all are here and healthy. My Ff often have a plug in the teats. The cholostrum is thick and they do nurse. I cant say it was like cottage cheese..just thicker than milk. More like cream. I havent dealt with mastitis yet. So no help from me. Sorry.

GoofyGoat, goodenuff and MadHouse like this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    So one of Bratty's black headed boys is having a really rough go; I walked out and found him lying on the ground, so I picked him up and his neck just flopped to the side. I rushed him inside and we gave him a shot of selenium and tube-fed him since he couldn't suck in a bottle. His mouth is cold when you put your finger in so I have him in a basket of towels by the fireplace. He's seems to be getting better since the grub and selenium shot, anything else we should do? Is it actually selenium deficiency? We're going to give the other kids our selenium gel. Poor kid also has lice, which we haven't seen on the goats until I was holding him today.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  15. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Also, Oreo's little girl died this morning but I was kinda expecting it since she wasn't very strong.

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Colostrum can be super thick. If it is, you have to milk it out best you can. It can also be mastitis which you would also want to get it milked out. No. Milk doesn't freeze in the udder.

Sorry about your losses. Can you explain more about what went on with them?

17. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    So we milked her out a bit and now she has milk.

We only had one loss so far. When I found this little guy that is now inside, he was lying flat on his right side, yelling out for help (literally; he didn't tell until he realized I was there). He was you g there, moving his legs, trying to get up. I thought that he was just having a hard time standing up because of his sweater. I lifted him up and his head swung to the right; he couldn't lift nor hold it. His whole body felt limp so I held him against me and brought him into the house. I walked to the fireplace with him and got his sweater off. We then gave him a selenium shot and tube-fed him because he couldn't suck on a bottle. I put my finger in his mouth to see how warm he was; his mouth was cold. I sat in chair next to the fireplace, holding him to me to help him warm up. He started perking up a bit, he could hold his head for a short time. I then put him in a basket that has towels as padding that's next to the fireplace to keep him warm. He's been sleeping since then.

I wasn't there to see the little girl die or what happened, but my grandparents say that they brought her inside and were holding her by the fireplace when this clear, non-smelling liquid came out of her. They think it came out of her umbilical cord. It was really weird, I think. We did cut and dip umbilical cords.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  18. goodenuff

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    Now, the little man is doing pretty good. After sleeping since we found him, we bottle-fed him and he stood up all on his own. He's now standing in his tub by the fireplace, just hanging out. He can hold himself up and is doing really good.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  19. MadHouse

So glad to hear! Let’s hope you solved the issue.:goodjob:
    I am sorry you lost the little girl. :hug:

goodenuff likes this.