goose nest?

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by silvergramma, Mar 16, 2010.

1. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Does anyone here have geese and what have you provided for them for nesting areas.. I built several kid tipis like the ones in Dairy goat journal and some of the pairs checked them out thinking they were condos!!!... Could anyone here show pics of what you've built for them to nest in? thanks..these are Grey Backs and a couple of Pomeranians,, I have 14 altogether with two more coming in..

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we never really raised them but we had two and they loved being under our deck. So something tells me they like a roof over their head when nesting

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Stacey...they like to hide, my mom had 3 pairs and they would nest in the dog box, under the cap from my dads truck as well as in the wood pile under a tarp. These were the white geese.

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My girls used to use a dog house I left out for them.

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    My geese prefer to nest in shelters w/at least 4' high ceilings, in outa' the way places. Favorite shelters over the years include: old sheds; an upright 55' gallon resin food-grade drum with a 2' tall entrance cut into one side; a huge old wooden doghouse that we renovated and made into a goose shelter.

The domestic geese I have now prefer a shelter I made out of a 10 panel 4-tall ex-pen. The dimensions set up are 4' W X 6" D X 4' tall. It has a 3 panel top that I covered with a camouflage tarp. I covered the sides and 2 doors w/green sunscreen over which I installed black resin hardware cloth and topped it all with camouflage netting. It's nestled in a shady grove of mature shrubs in an elevated spot bordered with boulder-size river rock to divert run off and keep the floor inside dry.

The exotics, OTOH, prefer to nest in a large Do-It-Yourself doghouse inside the domestics' nightpen - figures. <lol> The doghouse is pretty cool as the roof is hinged so it opens for easy cleaning and collection of eggs. If you have back or muscle problems, this is an absolute must. It's one of those asemble yourself jobs by Ware. Petsmart offers them online and the price is very reasonable for what you get. I got an XL and one of my sons, a software engineer who's all thumbs, was able to assemble it in less than 30 minutes. I then rolled on a coat or two of non-toxic clear sealant, on the exterior only. I'm sure it'd be easy to make if you're into that, but in pricing out materials the cost was actually more than the ready to assemble by Ware w/shipping.

Here's a link to the Ware Do-It-Yourself Doghouse I have. Ours has a redwood finish, though.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2751786

If I get time later today, I'll take some pics of our shelters to show 'ya.

Deb Mc
    ( *)> Hah-ONK! Hah-ONK! <(# )

6. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Okay, here are a few pics of some of our goose nesting shelters. As you will see, some were just thrown together out of whatever scrap material we had laying around while others are pre-fab or custom built. Maybe they'll give you an idea or two.

Deb Mc

Attached Files:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Deb, I love how clean it is! seems like our geese always made a mess within hours of me cleaning, so did the ducks. Chickens arent too bad, turkeys are!

you must rake it up often! looks great

8. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks!

Actually, it's just the reverse here. :crazy: My chickens are by far messier and more destructive than the waterfowl. I have to rake the craters out of the layer yard almost daily. :GAAH: Ditto the breeding aviaries. <lol> The turkeys, ducks and geese, OTOH, tend to tread easier on their enviroments. Except for 4 domestic ducks - 3 Jumbo Pekins and a Runner - all are of the non-dabbling variety.

Our hot, arid climate probably has alot to do with it. I live in the foothills of the Sonoran Desert. Yes, that's right, waterfowl in the desert. :) I'll attach a pic of my Greater Magellan geese grazing out back yesterday. With all the rain we've had, there's lots and lots of green to go around!

Deb Mc

Attached Files:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow I can never imagine living in a desert. :)