Gored goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Keebler, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Keebler

Keebler New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I have a little goat that I bought when she was three months old and she is greatly abused by the other goats. Today I noticed that her side is torn open from the other goats hooking her. She is very timid and skinny, not eating very much because of her fear of the other goats. when I am there protecting her she is fine and eats well, but I don't know what to do with her to protect her and help her get enough to eat. Any ideas?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I would definitely seperate her and get her a gentle *hornless* companion and put them in another pen, or sell her to someone who has disbudded goats. Horns are a cruel factor when it comes to herdmates.
    My Nubian hooked one of her herdmates on the vulva and cut it open. It healed, but I almost had a heartattack when I saw it.
    Horns=not good.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree - if you can seperate her with a very submissive goatie I would do that - otherwise I would sell her to a different home so that she doesn't get hurt worse.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I would definately seperate and find a dehorned companion or I would really consider selling her. It's not fair for her to be beaten up like that. Poor girl.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have a few goats that aren't as aggressive as the other does, we have a special pen for them that we put them in to eat hay. Its really important to separate the less aggressive ones so that they can get a chance to eat.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she healing up ok? Poor thing, I hope they let up on her soon or you can figure out a better situation for her in a different pen or something

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    That is the exact reason we disbud all kids, and we don't keep horned goats. Hope she's healing ok.

8. Keebler

Keebler New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Yes, thankfully she is healing well. I think the worst is past!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I agree with Amy, we don't keep horned goats for that reason plus we have a lot little children that are around our goats alot!