Gosh I hope its not mastitis!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by VanessaMHart, Mar 8, 2010.

1. VanessaMHart

VanessaMHart New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Our Alpine doe kidded about two weeks ago, her little doeling seems to only drink from one side. The side she does not drink from has gotten very small and does not produce much milk. Im hoping that side just started to dry off?? It does not seem to be warm and the milk that does come out is not strange looking or smelling (I dont drink it I just use it to make soap).

I saw a post on here before about a homemade mastitis test? I would hate having to wait to get a test I know none of the feed stores around here carry it so I would have to order it online. Also just out of curiosity what treatments are there for mastitis??

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If that half is just shrunken, with no heat or lumpiness then it is very likely that she's dried up...especially if she was engorged to the point of the back pressure telling her to not produce.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    If the kid is only drinking from one side, and that's the side that dried off, I doubt it's mastitis, to be sure; take the does' temperature and if she has a fever, then I'd test for mastitis and start her on antibiotics.

oh liz we posted at the same time :)

4. VanessaMHart

VanessaMHart New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Maricopa, Arizona
    If it turns out she does have it or if any of my does happen to get it in the future is it safe to keep her kid on her when she is being treated with antibiotics?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IF you infuse the udder with an antibiotic, it's best to not let the kids nurse...the med needs to stay in the udder. If you use an injectible like Penicillan, the milk won't hurt the kids as it is not directly into the udder.