Got a HUGE scare this morning!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cjpup, Jul 24, 2008.

1. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    My 3 week old agouti boy gave me the biggest scare of my life this mornining!!!!! I let everyone out as usual and as always did a head count on everyone. I realized the agouti was missing! His sister was fine and right with his mom but he was no where in the barn!

So I started checking around the outside of the barn thinking he either slipped through one of the holes or got through the gate before I realized it. Nope.....not there.

Then the dogs in the pasture were hanging around one spot with their noses to the ground. I though OH GOD! He got out or was left out last night and got eaten!!!! So I ran down in my shorts and flipflops to the tree where they were.........it was a pile of donkey poop!!!! SHEESH :roll:!!!!!! good for little agouti boy though!

So then I told Rossi (the only one of 3 dogs who is any good at goat herdin) to go find the baby (she is usually pretty good at that), she went to all of her usual placed the rock, where the babies usually hide, and blue tub by the water trough,agouti's usual spot, and Rossi "told" me he wasnt in either of those.

I went back in the barn thinking this is the only place he could be! About 20 minutes of searching for this little guy has gone by and I am PANICKED!! Finally I hear the teeniest tiniest little peep from one side of the barn. at first I wasnt sure if I had heard it. then, it happened again! With a sigh of relief I went over to the side of the barn I heard it from. I looked everywhere!!!! In every crevis (sp?) whole and crack! He was no where!!!! PANIC RETURNS!

Then I brought Rossi in the barn and shut everyone else out so she could "go to work". I told her to find the baby again. IMMEDIATLY, she ran over to an upside-down US Mail Carton. Me, being silly and not trusting her :doh: , told her to come away from the box and search somewhere else. So for about 5 minutes I fought with her going back and forth from the mail box, finally she actually TIPPED the box over with her nose and low and behold......LITTLE AGOUTI!!!!!

Im not sure how he was able to get under that box It was flipped over the entire time and yesterday to :scratch: ! Its a good thing I......or Rossi (have to give credit where credit is due).......found him or he probably wouldnt have been able to get himself out and he would have starved!!!

Just had to share!
    Chelsi

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats one smart dog you have there! :clap:

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have learned, if a good dog goes back and forth between spots, you'd better check it out. There is no substitute for a good dog! Good girl Rossi! :)

4. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Good thing you found him.. That can be quite scary.. Very very smart dog.. Extra treats for Rossi!

Too bad you're so far away.. I'm going to need a pygmy buckling in about a year, but I don't know any pygmy breeders here..

5. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    Hooray for Rossi!! :leap: I don't know what I'd do without my dogs to help out - with all sorts of stuff. Okay, so can you show us what your four-footed hero looks like? What kind of pooch is Rossi? Besides being a good goat-dog!

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I am so glad you found the little dude and that he is fine.

It's kinda funny, we know our dogs are so smart (well, some of them) and yet don't always listen when they tell us something. Glad you have a really smart dog and you did, finally, listen. :)

Lesson learned: check under everything when looking for a goat!

7. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Yeah I just didnt think he could somehow flip over that bucket to get under it! LOL!

Here is a picture of me and Rossi:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is a red heeler cross

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Good dog- very good dog.
    My dog is usually more hurt than help- her one successful job is to bark at the ravens who land in the pasture or paddock.

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    SO glad everything is well. What a scare!!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So glad Rossi found the little guy! I know what kind of box you're talking about too, good thing she didn't listen to you when you were trying to get her away from it, those things can get hot inside.....before you even said what breed she was I figured heeler when I saw the pics, my aunt has a blue heeler mix and Susie is an awesome "herder"!

11. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Yeah, heelers are one of those breeds that just know what to do without much training. All we had to do was put a command to the action and she was off!

But for all those looking to get or have heelers, just remember that heelers where and still are originally bred to herd cattle, a much bigger, more stubborn and dumber species than goats. Because of this, Heelers are bred to be rough with the herd (if not the cattle wouldnt go anywhere!) They tend to grip (bite) at the heels of whatever they are herding (hence heeler). This is our biggest obsticale when working Rossi, we have to be on our toes, ready to interupt any gripping she decides to do. She has her good and bad days. I am hoping this will fix with age (she only a little over a year old) and training though! On the other hand, heelers have a fantastic nose and are very alert and sensitive to the disposition of the herd and know how to get the herd moving without causing them to panick or stampede. They are also EXTREMELY smart and very much instinct driven (a very good thing to have when used as a herding dog).

I have never trained a herding dog in my life and Rossi didnt need any original training! I just had to capitalize on what she was already doing instinctively. I would recommend a heeler to anyone looking for a herding dog but I would also warn them that they MUST take an alpha position over there dog from day 1. This is the only way to get a handle on the instinctive gripping. When you take an alpha role, all of your animals will fall in line. It is a great feeling to be able to walk 3 toy poodles, one shepard, 1 red heeler and a terrier mix all at the same time without being dragging down the sidewalk.

Wow....I am sorry I rambled so much! LOL! Im a bit tired.
    CJ

12. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I gave her a big huge chew bone last night for helping me! LOL! The other 5 dogs were soooooooo jealous so I had to run out to the store and get more~

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    lol thats funny

I saw a heeler yesterday. I never liked them in pictures but this dog was cute. I maybe interested in one someday. I at least will keep it in mind as I hear a lot of good things about them.

14. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    They really are great dogs! Just need a lot of leadership because they are so strong willed and can think for themselves.....and do!

In my opinion, purebred heelers are not as pretty as most mixes. Rossi's dad was fullblood, registered, red heeler. Her mom was a black sheperd, lab, beagle........mutt! I think Rossi is prettier than a fullblood heeler. But then again, how much does the look of the dog matter when they serve a purpose such as herding? We got her based on her ability to do her job, not because she is pretty. LOL! I say that yet she was the only one in a little of 8 that had any red on her! LOL!. But we picked her as a pup because of the way she acted around us and interacted with her litter mates, not because of the way she looked.

I couldnt imagine life without her! She does so much for me every single day that I cant do myself. And she does it so willingly!

If anyone need tips on "training" (quotes because its not really training, its just capitalizing on the behavior you want and discouraging the behaviors you dont want) just let me knwo and Ill try to help!