Got a new goat, they said she was wormed....*PIC ADDED**

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Iwantgoats, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    It's been awhile...I cleared my cookies and forgot my signon and password. Luckily I found it :leap:

I got a new goat. She was in need of a home and I adopted her as the owners could no longer take care of her. They said she was a pygmy but she looks nigi to me. They said she had been wormed a month ago with Safeguard for goats. My question is...Do I trust this or do I go ahead and worm her again? Her coat is nappy looking and not in very good shape, so I could use some advice on how to get her into condition. I'm going to post some pics as soon as my battries charge up. I have a few other questions as well but will follow those up later.

Thanks for your advice.

[​IMG]

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Re: Got a new goat, they said she was wormed....

Run a fecal. Its a cheap way to find out. I got a foal a few years ago, the lady said she has been wormed. I trusted her. two weeks later she coliced due to a worm overload twisted her gut and had to be put to sleep. It was horrible. No matter how nice the people seem. Trust your fecals!
    beth

3. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

That makes since and since my doggy has to go to the vet this week for a check up I'll just take some poo along with me. Why didn't I think of that :doh:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

great advice...beth.. :thumbup: ..fecals are cheap... and let you know.... if they need treatment...and you will know.....what to treat for........ :wink: :greengrin:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

welcome back :wave: :leap: :leap:

congrats on the new goatie

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup she is definatly nigie.
    her coat looks really rough, this could indicate worms or a copper deficiancy.
    beth

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if it were me...if its not too cold, clip her, fecal, and offer minerals with copper.

8. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    how old is the goat?

9. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

He was unsure how old she was but she does not have her 2 yr teeth.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A fecal, wormed for parasites found and a very thorough brushing and you will have a very beautiful little nigi!

If she doesn't have her 2 yr teeth yet then she could still be over 2 years old...not by much though. My girl that is turning 2 in February still hasn't started to lose teeth. She also did not get her first set until she was 14 months old....so there are some that do get the permanent teeth later than their Birthdays.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she is a cutie....congrats... :love: :greengrin:

12. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Our goats were really bad looking when we got them (worse than yours, actually!) They were at a dairy farm so they didn't get much grooming, I don't know if they got worming at all, and they stood in outside pens that were muddy a lot of the year because of Colorado's heavy snows...there are areas in the mountains that never really dry out. Their coats were rough and dull and just looked like that of a dead animal. I bathed them and shaved them and it grew back shiny and beautiful again. So aside from the worming, she may just need some good grooming for a few months. I love her markings!

13. Guest

Guest Guest

no kidding beth. :thumb: wuhahaha, my mom saw the 'trust your fecals!' part and turned green. "these goat people," she said and walked away. :ROFL:

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LOL yeah, i guess we can be a little "odd".
    beth

15. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Fecal looks good the vet said. Just in the week I've had her, her coat is already looking better, probably from proper grain/hay and not having to eat it out of a mud hole after the huge pot bellied pig it was with. I picked up a brush so will work on brushing her out some.

My little chihuahua on the other hand, who came down sick 2 weeks ago with congestive heart failure will have to remain on heart meds and lasix for the remainder of his life :( He is doing better and goes back in 3 weeks to see if we can lower his dosages.

Taco (Redeem the Valors Sword Taco) My sons named him I think from Final Fantasy game, lol.
    [​IMG]

His companion Mia (Taco's Mia Motion)
    [​IMG]

Sorry the pics are so large.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good that the fecal came back clean.......adorable Chi wow wows too! Too bad Taco has the heart condition, I hope the meds help to give him a long happy life. :hug: