got a sick doeling!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ok, she was born monday a.m. (trips) dry when I got out to the barn, surprised, didn't think this doe was due for another week. So, I trimmed and dipped the cords, although it was already drying up. Tiny little kids, but very frisky. Last evening we were out saying goodnight and I realized this one is not right...panting (open mouth)...won't leave the heater...just not right. So, I brought her in and took her temp. It was only 100.8, so I thought she's cold, put her on a heating pad for an hour, gave her some probios, and a little bo-se. She warmed up too 104.8, and started panting again. So, I thought she's too warm now. Took her back out to mom (checked on her 3 times during night, seemed to be ok). But, she's still breathing heavy and so I brought her in again, temp is 101.9. I gave her a shot of Pen G, she sounds a little congested. Had goopy eyes. Haven't seen her poop (she did pee), or nurse since yesterday. Should I feed her? Anything else? Thank you.

2. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    the heavy breathing sounds like Pneumonia.....I would give a 1/2 cc of Duraxxcin or nuflor depending on what you have on hand~ASAP! (call the vet and get his opinion -I am NOT a vet!) Banamine or Dex like will help to dry up the lungs. I lost one last summer who had these symtoms...but I cured the second one by doing the above!! GOOD LUCK!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Temp is normal....for pneumonia...

Try giving her an enema...if you haven't seen her poo at all....she may be constipated.....that can be stressful(could be why she is panting) and very life threatening....... :(
    after she poo's... then Feed her....

Be careful warming her up and automatically taken them out in the cold...make sure... they are at a normal temp first.....

Not sure... if you needed the antibiotics..just yet..... but you have started them and should continue....

for the eyes.... Put a couple of drops of PenG...or terimycin it is in the small tube... for her goopy eyes...

Keep an eye on her...

4. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    How is this baby doing Di?? I thought about her all night! :pray:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California