Got an offer on the house

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, May 9, 2010.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    We got an offer on the house and, if we can get the contract signed, we'll be moving.

Unfortunately, Team Caprinae won't be going with us. :whatgoat: We just got back from two weeks in Florida and, sad to say, I didn't miss the farm much at all. Conveniently all the flooding happened while we were walking down the beach. I got to watch the rescue calls roll across my cell phone with my toes in the sand. I didn't miss the calls, either. Discovered I'm okay being a spectator. Very liberating.

But I will miss the team. Unfortunately trying to put them on a leash and pretend they're a dog doesn't fool anyone. It's been quite an adventure. A books worth of learning experiences.

Going to start a documentary on the mobile lifestyle while I'm finishing the hobby farm book and, like a lot of things, the best way to get that story is to live among your subjects. Something which attracts the wrong kind of attention from the neighbors when you try that with livestock. Maybe I can get you guys to give me your opinion on some sample chapters?

I was really thinking about a goat documentary but couldn't come up with an angle. Goats as pets is worth a two minute spot on Sunday am, but not enough there for a doc. Raising goats is interesting, but for livestock they're not terribly difficult to maintain. The best angle I could manage was how five companies pretty much control the meat market in the US. Interesting and ominous but not specific to goats.

Met some really interesting filmmakers in the Orlando area. We jointly pitched a commercial project while I was there and if that goes through between that project and my stuff I'm going to be busier than a big billy in Nannyville.

Last chance. If anyone is going through western TN, we have to move the team out sometime in the next few weeks. If we can't find a local buyer, that will mean the auction house. I'll make anyone here a heck of a deal to avoid sending them out to auction. If you know someone, steer them to me.

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on your new adventure -- sorry you have to leave the world of goats but I am glad you enjoyed the experience you had while there :)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is sad you can't have your goats.... :(
    a big congrats to you ...hope your new home will be great for you... we hope we will still see you here on TGS.... :wink: :thumb: :hug:

4. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    What do you have to sell?

5. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    There's 20 in the herd now, mostly nannies. One baby billy I haven't banded yet and four or five wethers. We have one nanny getting up there in age and probably should get a break from breeding.

They're Boer cross brush goats. I'm a little behind on maintenance. Need to go through and trim hooves and give them their spring worm shot, but other than that they're in pretty decent shape.

They can pretty much take care of 5-6 acres of heavy brush and grass all on their own. I'll have to run a high cut on the mower in a few weeks, but mostly it's all the team.