The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we noticed our wether having really bad diarrhea. (he would have been 1 next week) the day before and that morning he was fine. Still running around playing and normal poop. His mom was in labor and delivered triplets. While she was in labor we noticed he was laying down but thought he was mad because his momma was having other babies (he's a momma's boy) after we were finished tending to her we noticed he was lethargic and that's when we noticed the diarrhea. This morning when I went out I found him dead. I checked his eyelids yesterday and they were normal. Last night when we checked him his chest felt like a rattle when he would breathe. Does anyone know what could have caused him to pass away so quickly?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Exact same thing happened to my doeling last year. Perfectly normal, then diarrhea, then lethargic and fever, then death. I’m so sorry about him. I never found out what happened to her. A goat friend had this happen also to several kids. We thought maybe summer pneumonia.
Someone else will chime in soon. Sorry you lost him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suspect pneumonia. There aren't very many things that can kill a goat that fast, but pneumonia is one of them. Did you happen to take his temperature when you noticed he was acting off?
I did. Temp was 103.7

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday we noticed our wether having really bad diarrhea. (he would have been 1 next week) the day before and that morning he was fine. Still running around playing and normal poop. His mom was in labor and delivered triplets. While she was in labor we noticed he was laying down but thought he was mad because his momma was having other babies (he's a momma's boy) after we were finished tending to her we noticed he was lethargic and that's when we noticed the diarrhea. This morning when I went out I found him dead. I checked his eyelids yesterday and they were normal. Last night when we checked him his chest felt like a rattle when he would breathe. Does anyone know what could have caused him to pass away so quickly?
Temp was 103.7

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I am so sorry you lost him. :(
Pneumonia is a scary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would suspect pneumonia. There aren't very many things that can kill a goat that fast, but pneumonia is one of them. Did you happen to take his temperature when you noticed he was acting off?
If it was pneumonia is there anything I can do so the others do not catch it? Being he was in the same pen as them.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If it was pneumonia is there anything I can do so the others do not catch it? Being he was in the same pen as them.
I wondered the same thing. For one thing you can give them all raw garlic cloves for their immune system. Can't go wrong with garlic!

·
Registered
479 Posts
With pneumonia, usually the temperature spikes quickly and then drops. I'm surprised that your goat's temperature was on the high side, but maybe you caught it during the spike.

There are a couple different vaccines you can give for pneumonia. I haven't had an issue with pneumonia but I did vaccinate last fall "just in case" because we were having crazy temperature swings and terrible air quality from the wildfires. The vaccine I used was the intranasal one, Once PMH IN, I think it was called. It was easy to administer and although it was quite a bit pricier than the injectable version, it came very highly recommended by a couple other members here, and I considered it cheap insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts