The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats got into the goat barn, knocked over the grain bucket and the locked lid broke open. They all ate a bunch of grain, and all the goats seem fine, except for one doeling has runny poop. she was moping around, like she had a upset tummy. I gave her some probiotics, and a drench of b-vitamin solution to perk her up. Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Cd antitoxin or MOM. This will bind the toxins in her gut. Hay and green leaves until no more runny diarrhea. Give her electrolyte solution, if she doesn't drink willingly drench her.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I agree...I recently had a break in as well..had some very sick ladies...C D Antitoxin is best along with Pepto for those with runs...or Milk of magensia if you do not have CD Antitoxin...I had one doe I almost lost, I treated her with both C D Antitoxin and MOM...she is doing great now...

C D Antitoxin is as follows.
kids under 6lbs give them 3ccs injected SQ every 12hours
kids 6-15lbs give them 5ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
kids 15-20lbs: give them 10ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
For adults- 80lb goat will get 20ccs injected SQ every 12 hours
MOM is 15 cc per 60# every 4-6 hours

Offer hay green leaves or alfalfa...no feed until they are 100%
keep the hydrated

·
Registered
637 Posts
Similar situation here except it was my wormy little wether that got the worst of it....
Vet gave him B12, charcoal, and aTUMs and told me to dose with the probios paste twice a day and TUMs 3 times aday til diahrea resolves (he is shooting out squirts). Ditto on the hay and browse is best, fresh water and some electrolytes if he will take it (am leaving town today but he got lots of treatment yesterday)....she also said I could give vitamin B subQ twice daily if he doesnt seem to be eating (he is up and eating though and not so much poo).....
Not sure how to tell how much he should be drinking....

(I just happened to put him in the car when I went to drop off his fecal to the Vet, and she took one look and said he is SICK, I did mention he had started with diahrea the night before...)....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts