Got my Boer a friend....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Darby77, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Well I got Aoife a baby. She's penned separate from the other four with just the baby. She isn't being too bad but pushes the baby away. I'm so hoping she accepts her and they bond. I know she won't hurt the kid. On a positive note, Aoife and I are bonding better because the 4 attention grubbing Saanens can't interrupt. 20180324_121323.jpg 20180323_133141.jpg

Goat_Scout likes this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US

3. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    I feel like Aoife is afraid of the doeling, she shoves her and then runs in the stall and jumps on the crate where the kid can't get to her. I feel bad for them both. I don't think Aoife likes being locked in away from the rest of the herd. I know, I need to be patient....right?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Cute.

Yeah, they need to adjust, it will take time.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww they are cute! I hope they learn to become buddies soon.

7. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    We had a little progress yesterday. I saw them playing for a minute and when I locked up the rest of the herd in their small pen and let Aoife and the baby out to wander, the baby followed her a little instead of just crying and Aoife tried to get her to play. I'm so excited.

toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    So glad she is warming up to the little one. They are both so precious. I love the pic of you and Aoife.. that is just beyond adorable!

Darby77 and toth boer goats like this.
  10. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Aoife is my angel. We've been through a lot in our 2yrs together, I just want her to be happy.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all, so it's been a week. The baby is doing well, is always chewing...either her cud or hay. She follows the Boer around but Aoife still ignores her. Oh well, baby steps. :)

12. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all, so the new baby is doing well except her berries are clumped together. Still in berry form, but in a bunch. I had a fecal done by the vet the day I got her and it was negative they said. Could it just be the change in hay? I give her 1/4 cup medicated meat goat grain 2x a day, probios once a day, alfalfa in the morning, first cut all day and second cut at night in her stall. She's a bit of a piggy, either eating hay or chewing cud. I don't think her mouth ever stops moving! She is very talkative too, never shuts up. Should I be concerned about the clumps? Could the alfalfa be too rich? She also discovered the yum that is alfalfa pellets that I give them as a treat from my pocket.

13. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Could be stress or diet change. Maybe give her some b complex and probiotics. She'll adjust.

14. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    She gets probios powder in her grain every day, should I do pasta instead? I was wondering if Durvet Vitamin B complex is ok for goats? My vet didn't have any b complex in stock but tractor supply has the Durvet injectable, but it isn't labeled for goats, so I was nervous. Thanks!!

15. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    The powder is fine. And yes, that b is fine. It usually isn't labelled for goats. The dose is 6ml per 100 lbs SQ.

Darby77 likes this.
  16. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Ok thank you so much!!

17. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US