The Goat Spot Forum banner

Got my buckling, need quick opinion on leaving him in w/a doe

946 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  WarPony 
#1 ·
I have a five week old buckling, just brought home. I am getting a second buckling in a month or so to be his buddy, but right now I have only young does. What do you all think about me leaving my five week old doeling in with him for a little while? They are both a month younger than my other girls and the little doe has been getting picked on a bit by them. Should I be ok leaving them together at five weeks? They are Alpines.

#3 ·
It depends...I think that at that age they aren't fertile, but if it were me I would just pen them in adjacent pens, so they can socialize but not...do anything they aren't supposed to. Others might have different opinions though. Good for you for getting him a buddy!

#9 ·
I'm new to goats and this forum so forgive me "butting" in here but I have a related question. Will the little boys mess with their moms? Especially after they are weaned?... I'm planning on separating from his sister as soon I catch them playing doctor. Trying to figure out pasture/pen/sleeping arrangements ;)

#10 ·
My kids all stay together until just before the fall rut starts. I have never had a problem. All kids jump on each other, does, bucks, wethers. Its normal kid behavior.
Do you keep your kids with the adults? I have a buckling and 2 does (one his mom, one I believe to be unrelated). will I have to separate him from his mom soon? she's alpine mix.

I'm new to goats and this forum so forgive me "butting" in here but I have a related question. Will the little boys mess with their moms? Especially after they are weaned?... I'm planning on separating from his sister as soon I catch them playing doctor. Trying to figure out pasture/pen/sleeping arrangements ;)
Welcome!!

I have a 6 week old buck who's starting to mount his mommy (no other kids), but I've seen no extension, and she keeps head butting him away. so yes...little boys will mess with their moms!

#11 ·
Yes, they have no respect at all for family relationships, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.