Got my chicks today! *Updated pics*

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Amos, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yay!
    I ordered 25 light brahmas, 13 buff silkies, and 12 white crested black polish, and I recieved 24 light brahmas, 1 dark brahma, 15 buff silkies, and 15 of the white crested blacks, which works out good, as one of the silkies and one of the polish were pretty dehydrated and looking lethargic, but we got some food and water in them right away so they might make it.

First we put them all in one big box but it got a little crowded so we put the brahmas in a different one.

The blacks with white heads are the white crested black, the bownish ones are the buff silkies, and the yellow ones are the light brahmas.
    Opening the packaging lid!
    [​IMG]

All in one box
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seperate boxes:
    silkies and polish
    [​IMG]

brahmas
    [​IMG]

Close ups:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post new updated pics every week probably on Thursdays, so check back :wink:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Got my chicks today!

I just love them when they are little -- once they get big....well not so much ;)

3. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

Should be getting our chicks next week...hope the weather holds. I LOVE the polish when they are little...they are adorable! Good luck - hope they do well! :)

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Chicks! :leap:

I had some crested polish like those once, beautiful birds! Unfortionally they all were roos and they were PESTS! Tame as heck though. I eventually gave them away to a pet home, where they are happy and have some girlies. :greengrin:

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

You'll have to post pictures when you get them!

We had two white crested black polish hens, unfortunatly the white sticks out a bit compared to the black body at night, an owl decided they'd be tasty. Not these babies!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I'm with Stacey. I think they are so darn cute when they are little, but then they grow up. :shocked: I raised them birds as a child and I hated every minute of it.

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

:shocked:

Really? I love birds! I guess you can blame my mother on that :roll:

8. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California

We just ordered a bunch of silkies too. I just love them! We have 50 meat chickens coming in March too. I hate meat chickens! The growth rate on them is amazing though. I'll have to take pics of them every couple of days to show you all. You can notice a difference in their size even in just 24 hours. My sons like them for the fair but it's A LOT of work! My youngest son likes the little Japanese Bantams just because they're smaller. The rest of us are partial to the silkies and cochin bantams.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I LOVE my poultry.

Because they're outside. :wink: :greengrin:

Inside birds are sooo stinky and messy! I hate brooding chicks, and can hardly wait to toss them outside! Thank goodness for the Texas warmth! :)

10. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan

Oh, they are soo adorable!!! Where did you order them from?

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

there cute,that is alot of chicks... :shocked: :greengrin:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

awesome, we have 25 hens and 1 rooster.

white leghorns, americana, spekled sussex, australorp, golden laced wyandotte, and the rooster is a phoenix.!

i'm ordering chicks for may, but cant decide which breed.

13. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah

Very Cute. I raise Delaware Chickens. I have 2 coops totaling 15 hens and 2 roosters. We do it for the eggs and plan to start hatching some. What do you plan to do with so many chickens?
    Suellen

14. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia

omg cute cute cute ^_^

15. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa

What do you do with that many chickens? My daughter wants to get ducklings but they are so messy!

16. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008

Yes, ducks are messy, we have a whole flock of Muscovy ducks here!

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

Thanks everyone!

Crystal, you'll have to post pictures of those too! We've had whites, blacks and buff silkies, the only time we bred them the hens were eaten and the nest destroyed, hoping to breed these lil guys though. I have heard that silky blood, meat, and bones are a darker color than most, but I wouldn't know. I honestly don't like meat ones as much as the duel purpouse, the main meat breeds today have been altered to much over the years, pretty interesting. I have been wanting to try the Japenese but never really got to it.

Yes, brooding them inside isn't the best choice but with this type of weather its a must. We have a brooder shed, but I have it full of pigeons and rabbits in the winter :roll:

Hailee, I got them from Strombergs, I actually ordered them online, which I have never done before, I must admit I was scared that the order was gonna get messed up or something, but nope!

Thats Is a great mix of birds you have there Katrina, what will you be using your birds for?

Suellen, I am planning on using a select few for 4-H and plan to breed them until I can accumulate a several breeding trios, then I plan to sell chicks and birds to make some extra money. Like we really need more birds though, we already have 200 chickens, but we've never kept breeds seperate, so almost all the chicks hatched here are mixes, we have several that would be classified at actual 'breeds' that are being created by mixing, its really interesting and confusing trying to figure out feather types and genetics.

And yep, ducks can get pretty messy at times. How many muscovies do you have Amy? Currently we only have two pairs but plan to aquire some more females and raise a nice sized flock for meat.

18. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN

Hey Amos..... I convinced the DH to let me get some Bronze turkeys, Cornish Xs and some more Rode Island laying hens :cool: :cool: :cool: We'll have about 150 of a combination of the above arriving by April 1st. Boy we have a lot of rehab to do on a neglected shed, but it will work. We're gonna turn our existing chicken barn into the brooder house, split our buck pen in half for the turkeys (Timber's Pride and Chance say WHAT?? :shocked: ) and fix a 30x40 pen into a laying hen shed / meat chicken pen (divided, for sure). We're in the chicken business now!!

If our organic egg/chicken meat market dries up in the next 6 months, I'll be wishing I was of the poultry family cause my @@@ will be in the frying pan for sure!!!!!!!

19. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California

We're getting blue, black and white silkies. I talked to a breeder who's really big into showing them and she said the buffs are really really hard to show. I guess it's hard to get the coloring on them right. I know what you mean about them altering the meat breeds. That's why you can't breed the cornish X and get a true breed. They've messed with them so much. My kids do really well with them for poultry meat pens though. Every fair they've raised them for they've won Supreme Grand champion. They're are very messy disgusting birds though!
    Have you ever been on eggbid.com Amos? When you get your breeding pairs and start hatching them out you should check it out. It's like ebay but for chickens LOL. I told my sons they need to start hatching silkies and selling them on there. They had 1 silkie pullet sell for 1200.00 and another sell for 750.00. The silkies go for some pretty high prices on there. We've bought some awesome show birds off there too. I have to stay away from there or I spend money like crazy!
    Also, have you checked out Welp hatchery? If you order anymore chickens from a hatchery you should check them out. We've got really nice birds from there and their shipping is free. All of our champion meat pens came from them too. Even if their birds come out to a few cents more the free shipping still makes them cheaper. I really like them. Last year I ordered 25 meat birds and only 13 got to us. I don't know where the other 12 jumped out at LOL. I called them up and instead of just sending me the missing 12 they sent me a whole 25 more for free. I really like them!
    Just a couple of ideas for you :) As soon as we get ours in I'll start posting pics. It's amazing!

20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

MissMM, that is great!!! I hope you have fun! Certain breeds of turkeys are pretty hard to raise for some people, a couple years ago we bought a large mix of turkeys and lost 90% because our electricity kept getting cut off about 6-10 times a week, our entire road was having electrical problems that year. To be honest, until several months ago, I had no idea there was much of a market for home raised eggs and meat, turns out, there are many people in our general area who have great luck selling that type with websites! Here we were, a couple years ago, throwing entire refridgerators full of eggs away because we couldn't find buyers.

Crystal, I must admit, I have never show chickens before, even though we have ALWAYS owned them, this will be my first year for showing any, and I think i'm ready to take on the challenge. I have heard that about the buffs too, and that sometimes they can look too pale or too red, I already have atleast two that I know won't be show material, maybe three. I would say that I'd think blues would be harder, but for silkies its probably not true because they're quite fluffy. Yes the Cournish X are so messy! Last year my 4-h group lost (can't remember the name, basically matinence of animals and pens), and I had shown pigeons, but unfortunatly, the cage over was a pair of Cournish X, who there always disgustingly dirty, and the kid only cleaned out the pen twice at the fair. He was the only thing stopping us; I even asked him if I could clean it for him and he said no.
    Yes, I have been on eggbid, I seen you post something about those spendy silkies before so I had to check it out, pretty radical. I don't know if I'd be able to buy on there because of trust issues, but I have seen alot of very interesting breeds. No I haven't heard of Welp hatchery.. sounds like I should look into them! I'm glad they sent you another batch for free, that is great. And even better that your sons win with their birds. Can't wait to see your chicks!

Oh, and I must tell someone; on Sunday my mom and I drove over an hour to a huge poultry sale, and finally got another pair of peafowl! We used to raise quite a few 3-4 years ago, but we sort of stopped once our last breeders pairs died and we could never find any close breeders, always had to go long distances to get any, but my uncle found a guy who raises them closer and sells eggs, so we decided to get a new pair to start it out, and this spring we're going to sell buy some hatching eggs from the guy, if not the birds themselves.

This year will be busy!