Got my microscope! Have question.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bleatinghearts, Jan 29, 2011.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Last week I ordered a microscope online and I received it a few days ago. :leap: I want to be able to do my own fecals at home. With hubby out of town last night, it gave me a little extra time to finally unpack it and play with it. I must admit I was very excited for it to get here. Thank God no one can see our place through the trees. Armed with a headlamp and a ziplock, I must have looked like a football player waiting for the (poo) punt behind my girls. I may be 36 years old but I swear I still feel 13 when it comes to my animals!

I’m sure some of you can understand my disappointment when I couldn’t find one egg. I thought for sure I would see at least one. Don’t get me wrong. I would be thrilled if none of my goats had a single egg, but I was under the impression that goats/dogs always have a small number and that their bodies normally keep them in check. An elevated number of eggs would mean to worm them.

So am I doing it wrong? I see lots of bubbles and roughage like material. I’m going to do another float this morning and thought I would share a picture of what I find. This unit plugs into a computer to take a pic but I’m finding the pics aren’t very clear.

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    So here is a link...you may have already seen it. It gives you an idea of the proper proceedure leading up to, and the actual float test and also some pictures to give you an idea of what things should look like. It takes some practice to actually "see" eggs but once you know, without a doubt, what you are looking for you should be able to see oocysts, or more hopefully Not see them....A McMaster microscope counting slide will save your eye sight and your sanity...Have fun
    http://www2.luresext.edu/goats/library/fec.html

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Even if they have a worm load, it won't show up in every poop. So there may have been no worm eggs in that particular sample.

4. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Now I want a microscope.

Where did you get yours? What kind is it?

5. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I agree, that was an awesome site. I was happy to find lots of sites out there that where/are helpful. I downloaded lots of pictures of the internet of what I'm suppose to be looking for. I chose the regular slides for now because its all I could find in town and I wanted instant satisfaction but now I can see how the McMasters would be way better! I'm getting a splitten headache.
    I'm working on float #3, all different goats and still not seeing any. There IS an oocyte out there and I'm GOING to find it!!!
    This one is a Celestron. It's not the best quality for sure but I really needed to keep this under $100.00 after shipping so I went with it hoping I wouldn't be disappointed. I found it at OpticsPlanet.com. Shipping to AK was only $13.00 so the whole thing was only $75.00 Something like that. If I take a sample to the vet (and I still will if necessary) its $30.00 each sample. Someday I’ll upgrade but I’m happy with this one for now.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I LOVE having a microscope!! I've come across a few barberpole but nothing to alarm me...all my goats are healthy and have pretty pink lids.

I got mine from Amazon...it's a "My first microscope" has a light, adjustable stage and I got it for $85

7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Cool. When you upgrade you might consider the ones with the screen instead. It may reduce the headache. Jason got a really cheap microscope years ago (we gave it away when we moved) that gave him horrible headaches.

8. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    The dark rings a bubble (I think) but what do you think the other feller is? Dang if I dont leave right now I'm going to be late to pick hubby up at the airport!

Attached Files:

9. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    based off of pics and descriptions of what worm eggs look like in goat fecals, I would say that one with the arrow pointed to it is a worm egg. I've never done a fecal, but it's something I'm looking into doing and I've been trying to study up to know what to look for. I still need to get a microscope. Thanks for sharing the pics that is awesome.

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Cool! I got a microscope from a yard sale. I'm hoping to be able to use it. But I didn't know what to look for!

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Congrats on the micro! I love mine and yes, a McMasters slide is the best.....love it!
    Yes, the dark ring is an air bubble.....I was told to bring the air bubbles into focus and go from there. The other thing on your pic....not sure if it is an egg. I was told if you focus in and out on something and it has yellow/green color than it is not an egg......could very well be pollen. What helped me in the beginning was to download pics of all the diffrent eggs onto my computer and then have the computer right there when doing a fecal so I could compare......as far as not seeing any eggs on fecal right now....I was told that momma worms will not lay eggs when the weather is not favorable conditions, to be passed and not survive......smart little critters! So, if you have a goat with very pale membranes, but no eggs showing on fecal could still mean that she has a wormload, but also mites and lice can cause pale membranes to.
    Hope this helps a bit and happy fecaling! I was so obsessed with it in the beginning....I would fecal several times a week! Now I fecal about once a month and not every goat.

12. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    :ROFL: Hilarious!

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    VERY cool!
    I know the Dairy goat club 'down' here is going to do a fecal demo and clinic this spring. can't wait!!

14. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I think our next meeting is in March. I was thinking how fun it would be to do that at ours too. With the microscope being able to plug into the computer, it would be easy for everyone to see. We have some very knowledgable folks and I'm sure it would be a great learning experience for everyone.
    I'm kind of wondering what else you can use a microscope for. Like is there anything you can see in the blood or urine? Can struvite Crystals be seen? Hmm...

15. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Oooooh, that would be good stuff to know. When you spend a lot on a mircroscope it would be nice for it to have more than one use. Would love to know the answer to that.