Got ? on maybe sick buck (HELP)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tat2edlady, Jun 2, 2009.

1. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I just went out and and looked at my buck he has a almost white like snot comming out of his nose and it look like it is in the corroner of his eye what do I need to treet him I have nutra drench and La 200 here or should I get something eles.

Mindy

I have 3 FF due in less than 3 weeks day 140 on june 6 and than the other 2 will be day june 11 for the next and june 13 for the last want to make sure they do not get sick now.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can you get a temp on him?

Did it just come on over night?

Any coughing or sneezing?

I would take a tem first - if he does not have a fever - I would wait before giving antibiotics - but that is just me. It very well could be allergies.

3. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    going to get temps now and he has had a clear runny nose for like 2 days but It has been raining here in NC for close to 3 weeks strait

4. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    ok just took temp it is 101.7 and his poo is like paste so I am kinda at a loss as what is going on.

Mindy

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So he is not pooping pellets? Temp is normal - - - -

Is he eating and drinking ok?

6. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    He is not his normal self is still eating and drinking but feels Off somehow not sure how to explain it just a gut feeling

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hmmmmmm - you can give him some antibiotics if you wanted - but I personally would start with some nutridrench and probiotics / yogurt and see how he does.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with Allison, I would maybe give some Vet RX in the nose if you have it.

What is the weather there? Here it is really rainy and cold, so watch for his temp to go either way.

9. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    ok I have vet rx that I give my chickens how much should I give and how do I give to the buck? the vetrx is not made just for goats is that going to be ok.

Mindy

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have just been going through this with a new buckling for almost 3wks......he started out with cough and runny nose and no fever and then all of a sudden....BOOM! Thick white snot, cough got worse and fever......I think I waited to long to start antibiotics.....I kept thinking if no fever he wasn't that sick.....he ended up with pnuemonia in right lung....so keep a close eye on him. Also, I had just brought him home and he was stressed......he also had cocci. He is much better now, but still bit of lingering cough.

11. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Sthil is 5yrs old and he has no cough but the colored snot is kinda freaking me out.

Mindy

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It sounds like an upper respiroty infection, i would get him started on pen. It could also be pnemonia. You can try putting som vicks vapor rub on his nose to make him breath better.
    beth

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is he doing? I dont want to put advise out there without some updated info.

14. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Maybe it IS North Carolina allergies! I have a few of mine doing the same thing and it started a couple weeks ago. It's not constant... and it seemed to start right after I finished up their hay and got in a new batch. I figured maybe it was something in the hay causing it. And now, as of this morning, one of my does has an eye that looks a bit hazy. I don't know if she's got something in it or what. I'm off to TSC right now to get some terramycin for the eye. AND I'm going to give everyone some probiotics and do a worming with some Ivomec, just in case something is going on there. I have some Biomycin and Sulmet ordered that should be here any day now, so hopefully something kicks in and helps. If it doesn't, we'll try some allergy meds and see if that works...

Oh and thankfully I'm about to finish up this hay and get some more from someone else where I know it's not so dusty. Hubby bought it and it's mostly oat hay with a little bermuda and weeds. I don't like it at allllllllllllllllllllllllll

Angie