Got our new buckling home!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    It was an all day trip, and I'm so glad we're home! Introducing Solomon. He's a 3 1/2 month old buckling and I had to show him off. He already smells bucky and was trying to mount does at the breeder's farm. :p
    He's a little short for his age, I think, but was one of quads and his brother was just as big as he was. He already weighs 65 lbs and is very wide. I love the neck wrinkles and he's got a little beard already starting up! His conformation fault that I can see is a bit cow-hocked in the back even though he stands wide. I was hoping to breed that out two of my boer/kiko girls, but he should add some muscle and bone to the kids next spring. I don't think the cow-hocked will affect the meat at all. :laugh:
    He stands like he's posing all the time and trots around very graceful for as thick as he is, so he looked like a Solomon to me. He wont be going to any shows or anything, but hopefully his kids can do well for my two-legged kiddos in 4-h next year.
    (Now I PROMISE not to buy any more goats!) That's what I keep telling DH anyway. Hmmmm...maybe I should have named him Pringles?

Attached Files:

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

WOW he looks awesome I hope we works well for you

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    He looks very nice. I love the neck wrinkles, too. Oh, and about that whole promise-not-to-buy-any-more thing? I promised my husband the same thing - four goats ago... :wink:

-Tina

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Wow. Hes got an awesome thick neck on him, great depth, and a very nice topline. Is he registered?
    I think you did well!

My dad doesn't decide when we buy goats. :p

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice!! Should definately add some bulk to your next kids....and the cow hockedness would not make the meat any different but it can cause an issue with his ability to breed as he ages as the bulk of his weight will be on the hind legs as he mounts, if the cow hockedness is too severe it may cause weakness in the legs, not always but is a possibility to watch for in years to come.

6. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    He's great! Pringles lmao...

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Very nice! I keep telling my husband we will only get 3 more does, and a buck to finish out our herd so we can breed this fall.
    Well, we have the 3 girls lined up, got our buck...and 3 more bucklings LOL!!!! BUT, this time it was MY HUSBAND who made the call on the 3 boys...! So now we have 12, and will have 15 when we get the does! YIKES. Yep, the 'we're done buying' or 'we're fine, no more,' just doesn't work....been there and done that LOL

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thanks everybody! No, he's not registered. Honestly, I couldn't afford the prices of registered bucks any distance away and he looked better than what I've seen papered locally. His mom was papered and dad was a commercial fb buck. I only paid $60 for him, the truth be known. I feel like I stole him.
    His name is now Titan, not Solomon, because he's "special". He hit the hot wire ten times and kept bouncing off, just to keep going at it again and again, "zap, zap, zap". Oh boy, this is going to be fun. We'll keep working on it but he's still in the isolation pen and may stay there through breeding season if this keeps up.
    Last night he didn't look cow hocked at all the way he was standing, but today he did again a little. If he wont stay in the hotwire, he may not have time for it to affect his breeding ability after this season because I will change his name to "Mr. Chops" and retain one of his sons who grows up with "the wire". :laugh:

9. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Wow you did steal him.....I wish I could find a buck like him for 60 bucks

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Great deal on getting him! Our buckling we bought a few months ago we paid more than that for - without papers. He's younger than we were told, but not much older than your boy.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very nice....congrats.... :thumb: :wink: :love: