Got the scare of my life this afternoon.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by midnitesun, Nov 20, 2009.

1. midnitesun

midnitesun New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Hunt County, Texas
    I was walking into the kitchen, :coffee: , and I looked out my window and seen a dog out in my pasture with my horses.. I didn't think anything of it, until it turned around and walked closer, towards the house... It was a COYOTE..... :GAAH: :GAAH: :GAAH:
    I ran out side screaming at the top of my lungs and it ran off into the trees...
    When I 1st noticed it, I was thinking it was a German Shepard or something, It had GSD markings. But the tail gave it away. This was the 1st time I had seen 1 that close, during the day, and in short grass... Good news, every one is Ok, goats, chicks, horses, pacas, and donks.. Bad news, my donks have become lazy....
    I'm going to put up some motion lights this weekend, weather permitting, and see what else I can do to keep this lone guy out, so he doesn't bring in his running mates(if any).

What else can I put up to protect them all.. So far I have no climb fencing, with barb-wire lining. I even put bells every 10 feet on the fence, just in case. I don't want to put up hot fence, just in case my kiddos touch the fence.

Any ideals. I'm sure you all have some.... Thanks

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Have a loaded gun handy!
    The sensor lights may work for a little while but those predators can be persistant and very smart.

Never saw any around but have heard them yipping and so has my house dogs...I don't have a big guard dog anymore but I have a beagle mix that thinks he is! Vicious and noisy little beast lets me know when I need to grab the gun and spotlight.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow thats scary, sounds like what happened last month when three bears were out near the buck pen...

do you have a LGD? Our great pyr chased the bears off..maybe it'll work with the coyotes

4. midnitesun

midnitesun New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Hunt County, Texas
    Nope no pyr yet. But I have a cocker/lab mix who thinks he's a pyr.
    I'm still looking for the right pyr for my place.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well your dog might work...an LGD doesnt need to be pyr, lots of folks use anatolians, maremma :thumb:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Even a small dog will make enough noise to scare it off, my Jack may be small but he has the feistiness of a dog 10 times bigger.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    My Pyrs keep the coyotes off our farm and the one next door. They do an excellent job.

8. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

This week I saw a coyote watching me from about 150 feet away when I went out to clean my barn and let the goats out. I'm in Texas as well and most places have their fill of coyotes. A coyote killed one of my neighbor's (12 miles away) milk goat two weeks ago.

This time of year, depending on your drought/rain conditions, they seem to get more brazen and hungry. I, like you, keep the coyote larder well stocked with my chickens and goats. After our bad drought, I haven't seen any rabbits or other coyote feed around so they seem to be looking at stock. And there are definitely many others around if you are seeing one, even though they might not be running together at this time.

I have a large dog that chases them off, but coyote vs. dog is no match if the coyotes bunch up on the dog. I am pulling a rifle out of the gun safe and intend to start using it. I use to just use a shot gun to scare them but I've had my goats almost a year now and I expect the coyotes will make a run at the sooner or later, now that they've had time to study the situation. This may be the first time you've seen them, but they've been watching. Also, changing routine, moving pens, etc. is suppose to slow down the wary coyotes.

If you get a dog, get a BIG one, at least 80 lbs (coyotes weigh about 40). Also, if you can keep you goats in more of a panel fenced area rather than barbed wire, that slows the coyotes down.

Good luck. I have lots of family buried in Hunt County, in Money Cemetery. Nice to hear from someone up there.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yike that is scary. I have fears too. Esspecially during kidding season. I just saw a pair of big cyotes a couple of nights ago at the end of the road when I was driving home one night. They were close to the river, but I know that it is not that far away from my house. My fences have spots in them where I know a cyote could get through, that is how I lost my geese. The dogs are so old now that they are worthless, but I already have 4 dogs, that I don't want another dog. I just have to pray that He keeps my goaties safe for me.

10. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I have rottweilers so I do not find any coyotes lurking. Rotts are wonderful with livestock and great protectors. But, if you don't want a new dog, what abut urine? Coyotes mark their hunting perimeter with urine. Try collecting that of another predator (dog, yourself perhaps) and "marking" your perimeter. I know, ew, but this warns them off. :question:

11. Let me tell you, one dog will scare off one or two but a back NO. I speak from exsperiance when I we saw a pack of cyotes literally tare a dog apart in the field next door a little over a year ago now. I have three in my pens so they can work as a team. And trust me they do. And if you have a state like I do that let cougers go to cut own on dear you will be glad you have more then one. To me, two is best. Remember these LDG's stay with your herd so two gives them eachother as well as your herd for bonding. If you do not want to breed, two males or a male and a female, whom you can fix, work great. Leave your males in tack though. This helps with their marking and being more protective of their area.

Great Pyers, and Anatolians are the best I have seen. I have three Pyers, but have been itching to try out the Anatolians since I have heard so much about them. There is a blog at http://www.bendingtreeranch.com and the story there will amaze you. She just posted it yesterday on her Anatolian. When we exspand, you can bet I will have at least one, hopes for two. I would love to compare the two in their behavior but that is my own little project. Anyway, I highly recommend an LTG. I do know someone with LDG pups on the ground now if you would like to know tell me and I can give you her info and where you can find them. Anyway, I have one of her males from last years litter and he is wonderful. Very smart and gental already. He helped stand watch for his first set of kids this just a few days ago. We are very proud of him. Let me know if I can help more.

12. midnitesun

midnitesun New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Hunt County, Texas
    I don't know about the urine thing... Worth a try. Hubby thought of that too, but he just went out, after dark and "saved a gallon" as he called it... :roll:
    As for another dog, we're waiting for our "old man" here to cross the rainbow bridge first. I wait a LGD, or 2, I fostered a couple here after my La Manchas were killed and I LOVED them. But my dog thought he could attack them, every time he went out, so I had to send them back to the resue I was working with.... :sigh: :sigh:

Thanks every one.

13. Just a thought, but typically you make sure your LDG's can't get out and nothing can get it. With that said they should not be a big issue if there is a fince between you old feller and your new ones.

I know my LDG Ruth will go through the fince when I am out there, OVER AND OVER, to say, "Hey, if I can get out they can get in!" Just a thought.

14. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Wow..I know exactly how you felt. We are having a coyote problem now too. BIG coyotes 40+ pounds that used to be loners but are now running in packs. Their yipping and howling sets my hair on end.

We found a neighbor who is a trapper...not something I am usually in favor of...but since Mr. Coyote is very good at being invisible around here, a method of coyote control that we are willing to use. This man is a professional trapper and the traps are checked like clockwork every morning, the animals killed quickly and humanely and the traps baited with lure, not carrion.
    So far we have caught one and there are coyote tracks today around the traps,so we have another curious one.

We try to shoot them, but they stick close to the woodline and it's hard to get a shot.
    I use the Night Guard lights on the goat fence...spaced about 50 - 75' all around the outside of the pen at coyote eye level. I check for coyote tracks every day and so far they have stayed away from the fence. We have motion lights also and no climb fence. We have a baby monitor at the pen for night noises.. 3:00 am last week we woke up to coyote howls...sounded like they were in the pen, but fortunately they were in the woods and we chased them off. Difficult to get a clear shot at at night. They move soooo fast.