Got this today and HAD to share it. You gotta see this.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jdgray716, Apr 25, 2010.

1. ELECTRIC FENCE :shocked:

Seems a sheep farmer in Alton Illinois was
    puzzled about the disappearance of some sheep on his farm.
    After a few weeks the farmer decided to put up an electric fence.
    About a week later, this is what he found!

[​IMG]

Now, I know we've all heard of people being eaten by
    snakes & I bet most of us have said, 'If a snake tried to
    eat me, I'd blah, blah, blah & get away.'

Well, this is a Python & they're extremely aggressive &
    have a few teeth that they use to hold their prey while
    they wrap around them & then constrict.

Could you get away if this one bit you & held on with it's
    'few teeth?'

(Note: The wires are 10 inches apart.)
    [​IMG]

OOOHHH
    Alton, Illinois is on the Mississippi River just above St. Louis , Missouri .

Ok, so I said WOW :shocked:

2. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    i'm gonna have bad dreams, and I LIKE snakes. But that is just too much. *scary*

3. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Holy God... No, I couldn't get away from that, I don't think! Thanks for sharing... Very very enlightening!

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've seen those pictures before, except last time I saw them the caption said they were in africa? :shrug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my... :shocked: That is big and scary.... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
  7. LOL figures! Well that was the story I got, either way it was really big and I am sure it could REALLY do some damage. You know so many talk about loosing kids to owls, dogs, cyots, or for reasons unknown. Something got it...I bet they never thought this could be the reason. I pretty good one too...

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How long was it....... does anyone know.....?

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Snopes quotes the ranch site as "Over four meters"

10. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm glad it wasn't in Missouri.

Jan

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    JD....I have one word for that Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I don't like snakes and will avoid them at all costs....if I see them, if they surprise me they're dead! I simply cannot imagine a snake that BIG! Thats just " eww, ick!"

12. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I got that about 4 years ago in an email. scary stuff! Must be some powerful electric fences in Africa!

13. If you recall last year I posted that black one that was easily that long but I have never had one that big a round thank God. I'd be hitting for hours before chopping off that head. LOL

14. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    lol, this picture was really common a couple years ago. I used to breed snakes, actually (still have three these days, but I don't do any breeding anymore) and on the forums I was at this picture circulated like wildfire, especially from anti-snake people coming in and trying to villain-ize us "snake people".

Snopes however, is our friend. lol

So strange to see this pic on a goat forum so long after the fact! :)

15. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Wow!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: That is HUGE!! :shocked:

16. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
  17. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    All because of irresponsible cads who just HAD to get that "totally awesome wicked burmese python!!!!" and then get suddenly scared/overwhelmed/bored with their now 5, 8, 12, 15 foot long commitment of time, space, and resources.

What oh what to do with a snake that big? Zoos don't want them, the pet store won't take them back, no one on Craigslist will take them even if you throw cash at them too... Oh, great idea - let them go in the nearest "wild" looking area.

Fact of the matter is, this is NOT a problem in ANY state where freezing temperatures EVER occur.

ALL PYTHON SPECIES will DIE when the temperature reaches freezing or below. Being cold blooded, their internal temperature sinks to the temperature of their surroundings. NO snakes do NOT come back to life after thawing out.

The government is attempting to make a national scare out of a local problem.

This is a topic I've personally been fighting against for a couple of years now. We already vetoed two bans on pythons, but the anti-snake people are ever insistent that snakes are a plague, and are somehow mutated to be super resistant to a climate that is 100% unnatural to that species. And no, snakes do not adapt to that sort of thing. That's like a salt water fish adapting to being suddenly, one day, a fresh water fish.

Case in point, if you take a burmese python(african rock python, reticulated python, anaconda, or any other tropical snake) whose housing REQUIREMENTS include a temperature gradient 98 - 82 degrees F, and tweak it's temperature down ten degrees, it will get an upper respiratory infection. In less than a year, it's lungs will fill with fluid, and it will effectively drown.

Snakes that sick do not produce viable offspring, either.

Some places in the US are suitable for a continued lifespan of pythons. Half of the US? Absolutely not. If it ever freezes in your area - tropical snakes can NOT survive there outside. Boas, pythons, colubrids alike.

18. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ

Wow... Interesting :scratch: .

That kinda got me upset because I am one of those animal freaks, but I am sure if that thing came to eat me I would think otherwise...

19. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Well, none of them would come to eat you. lol

Snakes don't even ever try to bite people unless they feel threatened. Notice that whenever the people on TV are getting snapped at, they're antagonizing a wild animal or grabbing it, or holding it up, or manipulating it... If you're slow and steady and don't touch it and simply try to "back away slowly"... You'll be left as unmolested as you left the snake.

This whole "the pythons are taking over America zomg!!11!!" thing is just frustrating to those of us with any snake know-how. Mostly because 90% of America is glad to just eat what the TV dishes out to them, instead of researching it and getting the facts for themselves. ^.~

20. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Well, that is a relief! My neighbor got one out of his backyard a few years back. It is good to know they can't multiply in this area.