The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does that have huge full utters and the people said they had the girls for 5 years and the boys they had are weathered. . So why are their utters full? They are pigmy/fainter... at least that is what they told me

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Did they share a fence line with any bucks by the neighbors possibly? They could get preggo that way.
Or, a whether isn't quite a whether.

Could be Precocious udder.

Are their udders hot to the touch?

You can get a preg test in case, so you will know for sure.

If they are not preggo, they need relief and milked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have never been milked before :/ at least that is what I was told. The mom Hershie, brown one. . She has had 2 kids they know of and I have her daughter Bonnie she is the whitish one. They said she hasn't had a baby since they got her 5 years ago but was kept in with her weathered son and another weathered male...

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
the one pic shows only one side that is filled?? or is that just in the picture? a blood test can reveal if they are pregnant and give a time line...I wouldn't milk them at this time..

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
First I think you need to find out of they are pregnant. You can have blood drawn and send it in to BioTracking for a pregnancy test. You can also have them test the girls for CAE while you are at it.

If they come up not pregnant, then I would milk them out and see what you get.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I would do as suggested..have a blood test done to be sure if there are babies or not..Biotracking also give a gestation period so knowing about when they babies are to be born would be great if they are bred...if they are not..milk a little out see what you got...some PU fill up with useless liquid...other rich creamy milk..free : )

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Well that sure is confusing. Physically, they don't look pregnant, but their udders are fairly full. And the owners have had them 5 years without kids? When did you get them? If you got them recently and they had full udders, i'd ask the previous owners how long they've been like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got them about a week and a half ago and they were already full. The lady said she didn't know why they were like that.. she said they were gonna try to milk them but she had neverilked a goat before. Neither have I.. lol

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
If they have been like that a while..I would venture to sneak a peek at what the udder holds..not a lot..just a small amount to see if its milky or yucky..if its smells bad or off color, like blood tinged then treatment will be needed... if it looks like milk, with no odor, no flakes or particles then get that blood test ASAP...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to feel their utters and they run away from me as soon as I touch them... I will see if my husband can hold them still in the morning so I can try to milk then just to see what's in their utters

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think they are clogged up :/ I tried milking them and I had someone else try and you can feel the liquid in the teat but it won't come out... any suggestions?????

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Hot compresses and massage. Peppermint oil or Bag Balm will help.

It sounds like they may have mastitis so you do need to work on them and get them milked out.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree...got to get it out...hot compresses,expecially on the teats..check the teat tips..make sure its clean...and not plugged..keep working on it..Take their temp as well..

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree.

It could very well be mastitis.
Also what can happen is the teat plugs are hard to get out and have to be worked at. lightly scrape the end orofice to try to remove that plug.
Gently squeeze the teat to try to get milk out.

Just curious, do you know the proper method of milking?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts