Gotta be the WORST udder/teats you've ever seen

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    So my nubian doe gave birth to two kids, aboy and a girl, almost three weeks ago. She shouldn't have been bred, it was accidental, because her udder and teats are really bad. They hang between her legs and are only maybe 2-3 inches off of the ground. The kids had a very difficult time learning how to nurse, it took them about 10 days to catch on....leaving me to go out there every 4 hours to pick up a teat so they could find them. They did catch on but will only nurse off of one of them, leaving the lower one untouched. I've been milking that one side twice a day and they've been keeping the other side completely empty. The side I milk had blood in it for the first two days, I tested it for mastitis and it came back negative. The blood is now gone and the doe seems happy but those kids just turn up their noses at the teat when I offer it to them.

My question is, can two growing kids (half nubian/ half boer) get enough nourishment from just one side? Should I be offering them some of the milk I collect via bottle (they won't take a bottle for anything).

That doe is officially retired, I don't own any bucks so there will be no more accidents here. Can you imagine carrying those things around?

Attached Files:

• teat.jpg
      teat.jpg
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Are you out there alot with them? If so...they can be taught the other side....goats are really smart.....pick one kid and work with it.... every time you see them going to nurse.... put the same kid... on that teat..... keep at it... until he or she.... gets the hint...that the teat is there's .....

How are their bellies..... do they feel full? Be persistent.... :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if they absolutely refuse to nurse off it then you will need to keep milkign the one side so it doesnt get mastitis. But yes to answer your question kids can get enough off one side as long as the demand is there her udder will produce the milk for them.

4. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Great! Yes, they are growing well, big kids. The bellies are full. I will try training one kid to nurse on the longer teat, that might make my milking job go easier.
    Thanks guys!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... It doesn't hurt to try... to get the kid to suckle from it....if it doesn't work ...then... at least you tried...I Pray.... it does ... good luck... :thumb: :hug: :pray: