The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night that one of my 5 week old silkies has ascites (water belly). Unfortunately there is no cure. Her heart and liver are failing and her liver is draining fluid into her abdomen which has become so swollen that she is having trouble breathing. To confirm my suspicion I drained fluid from her belly and it's the classic "look" for ascites. I don't want her to suffer so I asked my husband to let he cross over to rainbow bridge this evening.
IMG_6766.jpg
IMG_6768.jpg

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
Awe. Im sorry.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When she hatched she was born with a really swollen stomach and couldn’t walk. I assumed it was her just late absorbing the yolk. Ascites is usually genetics, bad diet, poor ventilation or high elevation. I live up in the mountains but none of my other chickens ever had this issue. So I’m thinking maybe genetics? Their diet is normal chick starter and they have good ventilation. It’s not common and this is the very first time I have ever seen it happen with one of my own chickens. It usually happens in meat chickens because they grow so fast. It’s so weird that it happened in a silky. The mom had started pecking at her and only paying attention to the other chick that is perfectly healthy. I think momma knew that she was weak and sick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts