The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm building a business plan for starting a large meat goat herd, and I'm lost when researching regulations. Does anyone know if the USDA or other such government entities imposes any types of regulation on goat farming? I just don't know what I'm looking for.
:(
Any suggestions would be great!!

·
I'm watching you
22,261 Posts
The Scrapies Identification program is the only one that I know of. You can call 1-800-USDA-TAG to get all the info and get registered for the program. Your first 100 ID tags are free.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I would guess it depends on where your meat crop is going after they leave your place. If you are going to have a business license, then you may need to look into what kinda zoning you will need to set up your operation. Ag zoning should be ok but if you have any kinda customer traffic it may need to be zoned commercial? If you plan to transport over state lines, you will need to have a knowledgeable vet who can either follow the state guild lines in regards to health certificates. Which will include scrapies.

But as far as I know there is no government regulations or a police group to stop you from farming. Its not until you get into the butchering that they start to get involved.

On a side note. You want to start out clean. The turn around rate is pretty fast so CAE and Johne's would only be an issue with your breeding stock. BUT CL in a large commercial meet goat operation is devastating. Slaughter houses are suppose to reject CL infested animals. Not sure if its just internal that they do that on. But its impossible to clean up a large commercial CL infected herd in any kind of reasonable manner. So best to start out clean and stay clean. OR get ready to spend a bunch of money on the vaccine at least.

·
I'm watching you
22,261 Posts
Last I knew any carcass with more than 2 CL cysts had to be condemned. This may vary state to state as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, great advice! Very helpful! Especially about crossing state lines. That was something I had not thought of. Thanks a bunch guys! I've had a small run-in with Johnne's. I only have a few goats now, and I'm confident I'll have a clean herd before going bigger, but I had no idea that CL was so devastating. I'll research it for sure. Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Hi, I'm building a business plan for starting a large meat goat herd, and I'm lost when researching regulations. Does anyone know if the USDA or other such government entities imposes any types of regulation on goat farming? I just don't know what I'm looking for.
:(
Any suggestions would be great!!
I would imagine run-off from pens into rivers, lakes, or ground water contamination would apply. Meat goats imply slaughtering, so drug withdrawals would apply. In the event your herd contracts certain diseases like Q-Fever, Brucellosis, Leptospirosis, etc., you can undoubtedly expect to be slapped with a quarantine. I know Q-Fever will result in you being quarantined because it is considered a biological warfare agent. The best advice/suggestion I can give you is to talk to your state vet and/or dept. of agriculture. They should be able to answer all your questions and get you pointed in the right direction.

·
I'm watching you
22,261 Posts
Guess it's changed since. When I ordered mine in '96 they said the first 100 were free. I'm still on my first 50 :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Guess it's changed since. When I ordered mine in '96 they said the first 100 were free. I'm still on my first 50 :)
We have ordered 150 in both types(the bigger plastic and the smaller metal ones) and have never had to pay. This year we ordered numbers 51-150 and even got the applicator free from USDA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts