Grafting kids on another doe

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tenacross, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm...sounds interesting...but I kinda worry... that the real baby.. will get rejected... if kept from mom to long..... this person says... it works for her.... not positive it will work for others.... My Does ...don't like others kids even near them ....even around the time of kidding..so... I am not sure... if it will work for my Does..... :wink: For some... it may be worth a try....

3. DavyHollow

DavyHollow New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've heard of it being done, and I could see how it would work. If I was desperate for the kids to be dam raised I'd do it.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I had a baby goat that was one of quads. A tiny little guy that I had to bottle feed. Two weeks after he was born, I had a doe freshen. I rubbed the baby boy with the new mama's birthing fluid and mama adopted that boy and raised him along with her own twins. The hardest part was getting the little guy to accept the doe as his mom.

5. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    That's what I would worry about... How to "Make" the baby accept it's new mama.

6. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    My grafting experience....5 yrs ago when I raised boers, I had a huge boer doe birth 3 huge kids...difficult birth. she stood the whole day after kidding feednig those kids. Later I found her down and she had apparently torn internally and soon died (felt so bad for her)...at the same, two other does kidded. Low on pens, they were sharing a large one between the two and kidded within an hour of each other. both had twins one twin was born dead. the two also were fighting over whose kids were whose....soooo I took the one who had lost a baby and brought her into the pens with the new triplets. I stanchioned her ( I know this sounds mean) for two days...food and water in front of her at all times. she took all three kids like a dream! it worked for me.
    :thumbup:

7. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    ^Makes sense... I have a friend that does that with his Nurse Cows, except his process is a little longer, because he doesn't leave them there 2 days straight, he pens them morning, noon and again at night, for a week or something like that, until she accepts the calf as her own...

I think your way sounds a lot less of a headache! :stars:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow...whatever works.... :thumb: :wink: