Grain amounts for milking doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by LoriH, Sep 9, 2020.

1. LoriH

LoriH Active Member

I have a second freshener who is giving me 5lbs of milk daily. I am not sure how much grain she should be getting. Right now she is getting goat dairy ration (about 7 cups per day in two separate feedings). Thoughts?

MadHouse and Kass like this.
  2. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I dont have any in milk. Hopefully someone has an answer for you.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    This amount can vary farm to farm but generally speaking one pound of grain per 3 pounds of milk adjusted based on condition. Some need more to maintain condition why others maybe too fat and need less.
    What condition is your doe in. Does she seem to need more?

4. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    You did not say what kind of goat you have. I am guessing it is a normal large breed. I feed a large red plastic coffee can basically full of 16% dairy feed twice daily to our Nubians that are milking. I like to feed them about all they will eat and that seems to be about right. I have not had any issues with that amount of feed per goat.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Do you have a guess on how much grain per gallon? That seems like a lot of grain!
    Maybe just because I only have dry does

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Seems like a lot given the amount she is producing. I feed max 1 pound per 2 pounds produced. Make sure she is getting a quality hay, and that she is OK with any parasites or worms. 5lbs is not a lot of milk....... what breed is she and where is she in her lactation?

7. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    I am not sure how much a coffee can of pellets will weigh. I guess around 1.5 to 2 lbs. The amount of milk is approximately 4 lbs or 1/2 gallon daily. They are getting late in the milking season and have cut back a lot but and I am actually trying to get them to slow down on milk production so we can only milk once a day and then dry them up. They have a green pasture to feed in during the day and then all the dry hay they want during the night.