The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raise goats and want to start graining them. Makes economic sense for me because I mill my own feed. I want to feed a pound a head per day. I only use whole grains, and do not add limestone or ammonium chloride. What are the odds I'll have an issue with UC? Anyone tried this? Thanks.

·
I'm watching you
22,369 Posts
I feed whole grains but they must be mixed at least half and half with alfalfa pellets if your mix is oat based.
The ration I mix is oats, barley, feed peas, and boss. They get alfalfa hay free choice. When feeding grass hay I give alfalfa pellets free choice.
The alfalfa balances the calcium/phosphorus ratio and raises the protein of the overall ration.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Which grains do you wish to feed them, and what goal do you wish to achieve by graining them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which grains do you wish to feed them, and what goal do you wish to achieve by graining them?
I want to feed whole barley and cracked field peas. Maybe add a little soy, but probably not. I want to put a little fat on my worn out does, boost kid growth, and supplement subpar hay that I got REALLY cheap.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Maybe add a little soy, but probably not.
Field peas should do fine, rather than soy.
I want to put a little fat on my worn out does,
Do you have any access to BOSS (black oil sunflower seed)? Or cottonseed? Either of those would be a good addition to your ration for that particular goal.
and supplement subpar hay that I got REALLY cheap.
I've sure had to adjust around subpar hay before! I can attest that alfalfa pellets suggested earlier will really help with the hay situation. Grain isn't a good way to supply that side of the diet.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
I agree with the above.

Corn free is the safest way to go for male goat UC prevention if feeding grain.

Add alfalfa to the mix if feeding grain to boys. (Unless of course you have very hard well water -- I do not suggest feeding alfalfa if you have calcium and molybdenum heavy water) Other than that your plan sounds fine to me.

I have a feeling we are not talking about pet wethers, because you probably wouldn't be as focused on putting weight on them, boosting them, etc. if they aren't producing for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts