The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a video that said not to feed grain AT ALL to my male goats?? This is their main source of food!! Should I stop giving it to them? If so what should I feed then cause they don't eat much hay

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 weathered one la mancha and the other alpine.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
My boys all get grain. I balance it with alfalfa pellets. Once they are grown, they normally don't get it unless they are working mainly because they would get obese.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
How old are they? In reality Hay/browse should be a goats main staple. Goats love their grain but roughage is important to keep their rumens happy. How much grain are they getting? You don't have to cut out grain but it's not great to have it as their main source of food.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My boys all get grain. I balance it with alfalfa pellets. Once they are grown, they normally don't get it unless they are working mainly because they would get obese.
good to know (what kind of boys do you have?) we treat with grain (the wether is almost 6 months old and alittle thin) and have alfalfa pellets in a bucket as well as hay free choice....

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I have 2 Saanen wethers, an Alpine wether, an Alpine buck, a 3/4 Alpine 1/4 Nubian wetherling, and a LaMancha buckling.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Grain shouldn't be the main source of any goat's diet, as it is not as good for their rumens. :) But it is especially dangerous with boy goats. Because my boys don't work (they aren't pack goats), they don't get grain. I give them grass hay and alfalfa pellets, or alfalfa hay with a flake of Timothy hay here and there. Boys need a little more than twice as much calcium as phosphorus in their diet.

If my boys needed the extra weight, they would only get as much grain as they absolutely NEEDED, which for my Nigerians, would probably be 1/4 cup a day. But mine haven't needed it thus far. :thumb:

·
Registered
637 Posts
well the little wetherling is skinny (and so is the yearling doe that came with him)-- body score maybe of 2-3 Doe is more like 2.... and has clumpy poo so not sure what to do....

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
You can feed grain, just make sure his whole diet is balanced at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorus.

Plus you should have fecals done and then treat appropriately.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 6 month old Nigerian dwarf wethers eat 1/2 cup of Purina Nobel Goat feed per day. Their main diet is browse, pasture and hay all day. Nobel goat has ammonium chloride in it to help with urinary issues.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My 6 month old Nigerian dwarf wethers eat 1/2 cup of Purina Nobel Goat feed per day. Their main diet is browse, pasture and hay all day. Nobel goat has ammonium chloride in it to help with urinary issues.
Can you feed Nobel Goat to the whole herd or just the boys? This could be an issue since everyone eats together (except the one being milked)....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Pelleted grains are a processed food with lots of crap fillers and additives. They should not be a mainstay in a wethers diet. A good mineral mix will replace any of the good vitamins added to some grains. A quality hay can not be beat by any grain product as there are no quality ingredients added to most pelleted feed grains.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why is grain so bad for boys?? I feed them mostly grain...uh oh!! They are 8 months and 5 months old. Would this make a difference?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok now I'm scared!!! I am off first thing in the morning to get sine good quality hay!! Now they do get to go out back once a day a graze....but mainly grain twice a day..

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Hay should be their main diet. Grain is always a supplement.

You better get a year's worth fast while you can still find it. Farmers in Ohio like to sell out ASAP.

·
Registered
637 Posts
well I ended up with 4 bale and will get a couple more soon (I appear to be going thru about 3/4 bale a month, and we havent even put them in pasture yet-- I figure they can pasture some thru Dec and that should help.
We are bad on the grain, we treat them alot-- no pellets for us its textured sweet feed (mostly grain seeds that you can see, and some COB mixed in half and half).....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts