Grain feeder ideas

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Apr 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    i have a small herd of 9 goats right now, but will be growing it soon. I am feeding them their grain in dog bowls on the ground. I have been for 4 years, and I hate it! They get dirty SUPER quick!! Daily washing gets annoying, it’s like doing dishes, WHICH I HATE!!! I used those fence hanging feeders with my bucks, but they are 15$ each, and I don’t feel like spending almost 150, for 10 feeders:eek:
    I feed their hay in corner feeders, and I love those things.
    I feed my goats grain all year around, and I can’t seem to find something that will work for me. The ones I milk get put on the stand to eat, but everyone else eats in their pen.

Any ideas for grain feeders? I am at my wits end with the bowls :mad::mad:
    My checklist
    Easy to clean
    Light. I have to be able to move it to the hose which is about 20 feet away from the goat pen.
    Good quality. I don’t want it to break immediately
    Able to fit in a 15 x 20 shelter. I don’t want a huge trough, because I have used those before, and they jump in it, and soil all the grain.
    Please, I am gonna lose my mind lol!!!
    Thanks!
    Nigerian dwarf goat :cowboy:

MadHouse likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Does it have to be individual dishes or can they eat side by side at a trough-style?

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Do all your goats not have horns? What about something like a fence line feeder, but not as a fence, just the same general idea where they stick their head threw. I saw one feeder that a lady with Nubians (so no horns) has one of those troughs from tractor supply and then just tied cattle panels to it (with the 8X8 holes i think they are) so then they just put their head threw but not their body. BUT if you are going to have something like that with the vertical bars like that I would want my goats to get along very well. But I think in the end it might end up being more money then those hanging feeders.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    2 of them are horned. Mine also don’t get along very well. There is an obvious herd ranking.

Either is good :)

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    These are what i use: They have worked extremely well for me. I have 3 medium sized does jump in them before, because they are goats lol, and they never hurt them even in the cold weather! But these things are really handy for my set up. I have had them for about 4 months or longer and they have never cracked, easy to wash with warm soapy water. And light weight! I use them for mineral, water, and feeding them! And i really love the colors you get to choose from:)[​IMG]

6. lada823

lada823 Active Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Ohio
    I use those hanging feeders that I use in the stalls. I also have goats out on pasture. My bucks/wethers eat from a trough combination hay and grain feeder and they do fine with it. The does do not. I have a couple of VERY pushy does and if they are eating in close proximity to other goats then nobody else gets to eat. So for them I have to do several of the rubber pans on the ground, spread far enough apart that they can't boss everyone around. They don't seem to get soiled except the occasional berry. I feed grain in the morning and alfalfa pellets st night but only enough that they clean up relatively quickly so there's not feed left in them for long.

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have those rubber pans too. Mine spill the food, step in them, poop in them, then squish the berries. It’s like their little game, “who can drive her mad first” I swear! Then they scream at me, because instead of eating right away,I have to go clean their bowls! They get obnoxious.
    If there was a way I could hang the bowls to the wall, still able to take them down to clean them, I would, but I can’t think of a way to do it.

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  8. lada823

lada823 Active Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Ohio
    I would just use several of the feeders pictured in the previous post. They hang easily from a 2x4, they're light and easy to clean.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    How big are your goats? Tractor Supply (and others) sell a polypropylene manger on a tubular frame that is fairly low to the ground. Works great for the standard size adult goats. (there is a tall one for horses, too). I use 3 of them to feed 30 -40 at a time. The only problem is that you have to watch and make sure the slow eaters get enough and the darn youngsters don't jump in and get poop in the feed. After the meal, I strap it to the fence so they cannot play in it.

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Mine are mostly nights, so small, but I have a mini Nubian and her 2 daughters, who are bigger than the rest of the minis :)
    Is it something like this? If not, could u send me a pic of it? I am interested :) thanks!
    966109D4-24B4-44DA-8DDB-5795CA4DA460.png

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I feed grain on the milkstand, but when I served stuff in bowls outside for a while, I just placed the bowls in the hay feeder trays. They cleaned the bowls out fast and didn’t make them dirty.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yes, that is the manger I was talking about. I wonder if you could put blocks around it so littler ones could reach?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have like 10 of those lying around the property lol. We used to have cutting horses, and like 80 cows spread out on 2 property’s. That’s what Hubby fed them in. Then a REALLY bad drought hit TX, and we had to sell almost all of them. it was devastating.
    Sorry, got a little squirrly on ya ;)
    I used one once, and the little ones, like you said, jumped in it and would get their dirty feet all over the feed. I use those during the summer time, which is the only time it works well for me, cause it is dry, and there’s not much they can track in there.

Maybe I am too picky and too cheap lol

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.