Grain mites?!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mamatoes, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    What on earth seriously?!

I went to milk tonight and when I came in the house I noticed hundred of little while moving bugs so so tiny on my one spot of my pants. I immediately freaked out thinking my doe had a really really bad lice infestation but I went and cleaned the milk stand and I checked her out until finally I saw my metal food bucket. It was LITTERED with tiny tiny tiny white bugs! I cleaned the outside with bleach and cleaner and the inside with a wet towel but stopped near the food. Dr google tells me this is grain mites?! What do I do?! Can I feed this to her? What the heck!

Kass likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Do not feed it to her. Check the expiration on the grain bag. What brand is it? Where did you get it?

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.

3. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    I got it from a feed store in Muskoka Canada. I’ve never had issues before. I think it’s just from the heat from what I hear. The lid wasn’t on great so it’s probably my fault :(

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Is it sweet feed or pelleted?

5. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    A mix

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would get rid of the sweet feed. The sugar (molasses_) attracts bugs, flies, mold, etc. A balanced pelleted feed is all I use. Less risk of feed spoiling, accidosis, etc.

7. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Ok! Thanks!!!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California