GRAIN OVERLOAD!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, May 28, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hi,
    3 of my girls, Karlee, bikini, and calypso, goot out of their pens and into the grain bucket 2 days ago. Now karlee has pretty bad runs (giving electrolytes) Calypso is looking great, but bikini looks like she could be bloated; she hasnt eaten almost anything in 2 days, but her belly is big and hard. she does alot of moping around, and sleeping. she REALLY hates the drench, but i did get a little nutridrench in her. will she recover soon? what can i give her (also please include how much and how this should be taken.) her temp is normal, weight; #125ish. boer cross. thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    backing soda and walking should do the trick.

You do NOT want her to founder. Keep her moving - MAKE her walk. Then also give her baking soda balls (add a drop of water at a time to baking soda to form it into a "ball" makes it so they can't spit it out easily). Keep giving her the baking soda till she starts to get better.

Don't stop her runs just yet -- make sure she gets plenty to drink so that she doesn't dehydrate though. The runs is her bodies reaction to the extra food. How much do you think she ate?

I believe there is one other thing you can do but off top my head I am drawing a blank.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well i think they were out for at least 15 min. while i was in the garden, and they know where to go to get grain. the one with runs is doing better, she's been drinking alot. i'll make the other one walk tonight. thank you !!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, i got her walking/ jogging (she was worried about her kid bleating) she wasnt into the baking soda balls -but i shoved them down her mouth. got about 1/2 a cup down there. and she farted a few times (if that helps)

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good passing gas will help her. Burping is also important to relieve the pressure of the bloat.

Keep up the baking soda a couple times today unless she is better. If she is worried about her kid, pick up her kid and place it somewhere then take mom out and have her go find it -- will make her move and keep things moving in her gut.

has she eaten any hay since? If not get some probios down her so that her rumen keeps functioning.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a buck get in the grain bin last night year and he has a HUGE set of horns, so he also got the trash can stuck on his head. I almost lost him due to it but it took hours and hours of walking and lots of baking soda tummy rubs. If you have some straw, they might eat that. It is good for a goat with a tummy ache.
    Yes passing gas is WONDERFUL. Keep rubbing the tummy and keep the rumen going. If you have any CD antitoxin that would be great to give. I did not at the time of my buck doing this, but I do now.
    My vet finally said to get some Thera Bloat. I mixed half the bottle with water and drenched him. If I had not done that I would of lost my big boy.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, she is looking alot better today, i will kep walking and the baking soda. next time i order supplies i'll get probios and thera bloat (just in case)

is there anything else you guys find handy in a goat emergency? i carry nutridrench, electrolytes, propolyne glycol, selenium e gel.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Yes- a must have is a good calcium source for a pregnant or nursing doe emergency- like calcium drench or cmpk or calcfresh. It can save you doe so cheaply if she goes hypocalcemic.
    And I got a bottle of B1- you have to get it from the vet but it's cheap insurance -you'll have it when you need it. It's for goat polio.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    enjoytheride - i goat polio common?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would not say it is REAL common, BUT I would have the B1 for insurance. It is a cheap bottle to save a life. It will take a goat very fast. I have a bottle and I have had it but I have never used it. I would rather have it and have it sit then need it in the middle of the night when everything is closed. :GAAH:

Something else that is so missed. Thermomator(sp) . I also have OB lube to put on the Therm, to go in or Vaseline, KY Jelly.

Blood Stop or Corn Starch.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH, Sorry. I forgot to tell you,

Glad to hear she is doing better. Also you can use yogurt for a probias if you need. It works great. I use it at home and I use the Probias on the road.

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    When I needed it, it would have been too late when the vet called me back for me to get it that day. But I had it already and when the vet finally called me back, I had already started treating her.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Goat Polio is the very first crisis I had when I got my first goats! I thought Willa was dead and I'd only had her about 2 weeks. I will always have B1 on hand, learned my lesson for sure.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup yogurt with active cultures is just as good as probios, maybe better

Happy to hear good news so far.

Thanks Lori for the reminder about the thermometer - I had 2 one broke (ok I let it sit in water, not on purpose though :doh: and the other I lost double :doh: :roll: )

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How are they doing today?

Stacey, I have no kidding 5 thermometers. Even then I can not find them when i need them. :hair: It couldn't be that I am looking so hard that I over look them.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she still looks off, but shes walking more, every time i go out there i hear a fart or two -from the goat- but still isnt her happy little self. how would i feed her yogurt?, she's very picky and HATES drenching. thanks for all the info.

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can offer her a fruit flavored yogurt to see if she'll eat it on her own...mine like strawberry. If not then you can use a syringe w/o the eedle to squirt it into her mouth. You will end up wearing more though cause if they don't like it they'll spit it on ya! I was lucky enough to have a bottle baby buckling that when he needs meds orally I thin it and let him suck it out of a bottle....works for him. I've also heard of people using a turkey baster to get yogurt into them....your drench gun will work too, if she doesn't take it n her own.

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she is looking tons better, walking around, and her belly looks better, not all puffed out thanks, i think the baking soda helped, i'll keep an eye on her. thank you guys!

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful! Such a simple thing can do wonders.